• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Am I Feeding My Baby Well?

Malaika

Sonno Eterno
Isha is always so ravenous when it's feeding time. I'm wondering, when is the general age that one should bump up to fuzzies/whatever comes after pinkies? I know that we go by how much the snake weighs, but I don't have a scale just yet. Isha is 2 months old right now, and he gets two fuzzies a week, one on Wednesday and one on Sunday. I know that I'm always paranoid about feeding, but am I doing all right or should he be eating more?

Thanks!

Ooh

Thanks! I've seen that before and once I get a scale I'll definitely follow it. :) Unfortunately though I don't really know Isha's weight. I know that's how we tend to measure what/how much we feed our snakes, but I was wondering if there was a general age range...some rule of thumb such as 'start feeding them fuzzies at ___ months' or something?

Just a quick note. I didn't know my snake's weight for a while. Then I went to Wal-mart and found a cheap, probably not 100% accurate kitchen scale. It cost about 5$, and I really enjoy having it. It helps a lot, and is interesting to see how a snake's weight changes.

If anything, you may be overfeeding a bit, or at least you are feeding too frequently. Your Wednesday feeding comes just three days after the Sunday feeding. I think that's pushing it, especially for a two-month old that's already on fuzzies. Elle (Tula) is right: if you don't have a scale, use the 1.5x girth rule. Or you can always use the "visible lump" method. When the prey-size you're using hardly leaves a lump, it's time to bump to the next size. Either way, I think you should scale back the feedings to one appropriately sized meal no more than once every five or six days.

I agree, my little guys are quite a big older and have only just started on fuzzies...

It doesn't depend on age though, it depends more on size. :)

PS: Corns should be hungry when you feed them! It's a good sign that your little guy has such a good feeding response

Wow

Roy Munson said:
If anything, you may be overfeeding a bit, or at least you are feeding too frequently. Your Wednesday feeding comes just three days after the Sunday feeding. I think that's pushing it, especially for a two-month old that's already on fuzzies.

Isha's not on fuzzies, he's on pinkies! Wow! I didn't know I was feeding him too frequently. Thank you so much! I'll try to cut back. In case it doesn't work well...how do I know if Isha's not getting enough food? Are there any behavioural/visual signs?

Malaika said:
Everyone, Isha has two PINKIES a week, NOT two fuzzies.
A single pinkie every four to five days is fine, so you are probably feeding a bit much, but only a bit.

What is "too much"?

A couple of days ago I purchased a baby corn. Unfortunately I forgot to ask how old she is.... Yeah Im a dumbass.. But she is really small. Pinkies are just right. Two days after she settled in I gave her a pinkie. I thought she would try to avoid it at all costs.. SHE swallowed it like there's no tommorrow.. Apparently I read her behavior correctly. Two pinkies every 4 days is too much? But she's a baby. I thought the extra pinkie would help her weight, nutrition, and growth? And not torture her since she's so hungry! IM just so happy she ate after such a short time in her new home.

AlexSD87 said:
she is really small. Pinkies are just right. Two days after she settled in I gave her a pinkie. I thought she would try to avoid it at all costs.. SHE swallowed it like there's no tommorrow.. Apparently I read her behavior correctly. Two pinkies every 4 days is too much? But she's a baby. I thought the extra pinkie would help her weight, nutrition, and growth? And not torture her since she's so hungry! IM just so happy she ate after such a short time in her new home.
It depends on the size of the pinkies. If the hatchling is still eating small pinkies, I will offer two every four to five days. If the hatchling is eating regular pinkies, I will offer two every five to six days, even seven. Anything eating fuzzy or larger gets fed every seven days.

Back