• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Am i labeled bad luck?

DeathCrest

sune-ku wa kawaii desu!!
My first snake died of famine...refused to eat. And now the second one i got hasn't shed in two months. It's eating perfectly fine and it's full of spirit. I went on vacation for two weeks but in the middle of those two weeks i came back to feed the snake. The baby was fine and i handled it as usual and hand fed it. It ate with appetite but when i returned today. I found something that looks like vomit and the snake dead right beside it. What the hell happened? Anyone got any ideas? i'm really confused by this and i had the snake for about three to four months and I am stunned. My parents didn't see it happen but they do recall that yesterday afternoon it was fine and moving across the tank.

Thanks in advance

I am sorry to hear your news.

The only way to be sure of the cause of death is to have a necropsy done. Anything we could suggest would be mere guesses.
Do you know that your mice come from a good source? What is the cage like? What are the temperatures in the cage? What substrate do you use? Do you see any other signs?

Skye

the cage is in ecellent condition. The coconut shedding is nice and moist/watered. I move it around to keep it even every second day. The water dish is cleaned every second day. The temperature is always the same around the tank and it's not directly in the sun. I usually stick my hand in the tank to make sure it's never too hot or cold. I handle the snake daily and feed it every week around the same time. The mice comes from a pet shop i usually go to with my friends. They buy their mice and pinkies there and they never had any problems so knowing it went well for them I decided to buy my stock from there too. I really have no idea what could of made it puke and croak. Maybe it's just two bad lucks back to back....hopefully the new one i'll get wont do the same -.-

thanks

Before you get another snake, here are some tips...

This is just a guess, but iwould blame it on the substrate...It is possible that the snake accidentally ingested some of the bedding while burrowing or even feeding(if fed in cage) and became constipated...I know that when the coconut bedding gets moist it expands, so you need to eliminate that...I would reccomend paper towels for a hatchling, since they can't be easily swallowed...

It could also be from overheating or under heating...Remember your body temp is approximatley 98.6, so what feels warm or cool to you could actually be deadly for a snake over an extended time period...I would suggest a thermometer, mainly due to accuracy...

The third thing that comes to mind is where did you get the snakes from???If you got them both from the same place it could be anything from genetics to disease..I would reccomend going to a different source for my next snake...

If you have any questions, feel free to pm or email me or post them here and someone will help...

HTH,

The only thing that I could think of is that if there was some kind of disease that your other snake had that is lingering in the viv. Some bacteria are incredibly resistant to cleaning and might still be viable. If you're using the same viv, maybe it got something too. Just a thought.

thanks alot everyone and i think i figured out what happened with the help of alot of people on this forum. I think because the last feeding i didn't remove him from the cage that h might have eaten some subtrate accidently causing a conspitation and then the puke. Also since it's a rather big viv he was also stressed so it didn,t help. With the help of drittz i'm gonna get some paper towels for the new hatchling i'll be getting and taking all the "safety" measures possible to ensure i don't become a horror flick lfor snakes like my dad amusingly tells me.

Thanks everyone!

They really don't like wide open spaces it leaves them feeling vunerable to attack. Loads of places to hide is much better for their stress levels as I understand it...

Back