• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Amber or just Caramel?

sab49

I bought this little guy last summer as a caramel possible het hypo just based on the belly coloration. Since then, all he has done is lighten up. He is either a late '08 or early '09 and about 36" long so he has probably moved into his adult coloration by now. His sheds have a little color on his back, and none on his belly.

The flash on the last photo kind of washes out his color a bit and doesn't show all of his yellow coloration between the saddles.

I realize the only sure way to find out is test breeding, which will happen next year, but I was just curious what you experts had to say.

Thanks,
MikeIMG_0226 (Small).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0230 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0230 (Small).JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0232 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0232 (Small).JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0233 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0233 (Small).JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 102
I would call that an Amber. It has very clean and subtle colors like an Amber. Caramels are usually a little darker. BUT, I do know that some Caramels are lighter. :shrugs:

Very beautiful snake

Wayne

It could go either way as I've seen caramels that light and ambers that dark. I would like to see some photos of the snake as young as possible as there is more of a definite difference between caramels and ambers when they are hatchlings. But most importantly, I would trust the breeder, or at least err on the side of caution and call it a caramel until breeding trials prove otherwise. I am doing most of my judging on the second and third photos as they have the least washing out of colors by the flash.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I agree he is quite a beautiful snake with his clean look and lack of black in his pattern. (although I love my okeetee and his black borders) I just wish I knew his genetics w/o having to test breed him and potentially "waste" a year. I don't have any pics from when he was much different in color Susan. I only got him last year and he was pretty much the same then, just a little darker. The person I bought him from was told that he was probably a caramel, but she wasn't sure. I don't really know who the breeder was.

From the top view, I would say amber, from the belly shot I would say caramel.
Probably too dark in most peoples opinions on the belly to be an amber...
but whoe knows for sure?.
call it an ambermel lol.. cant lose then

Back