• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Amel + Amel = glacier?

sarahdowns52

Hi guys, I have recently managed to incubate my corn eggs successfully enough that i have 15 little hatchlings from 2 clutches, i know the mistakes i made this year to have lost so many so i will hopefully do better next year but my question is this, what kind of genetics must my parent snakes be carrying to have got the babies i have, my normal (f)/dark amel (m) (ultra?) have given me normals and amels, the amel (f)/dark Amel (m) have managed light amels and some gorgeous little glaciers (snopal) at least thats what i believe them to be, i thought they were snows at first then looked them up and they are not pink enough, have more lilac in them, hence the glacier belief, please help me, i am truly in awe of these creatures and would love to hear any thoughts you may have on the possible genetic make up of these snakes and what the babies may be carrying also, thanks people x

It's possible (and very likely) that the amels were also het anery, which would make snows. If they were Snopal/Glaciers, they would have to be het for anery as well as lavender, which is less likely, but obviously still possible. Snows (as well as Snopals) can all have varying ranges of pinks, from having none to being quite pink.

If you have any pictures of them, it would be a lot easier for us to help out. If they haven't shed yet, you'll probably be able to tell more after that.

As a hatchling, you're not going to see much, if any, difference between a snow and a glacier. And the chances are much better for an amel X amel pairing to produce snows than for them to not only both be het anery but het lavender too (and if you think all of them are glaciers, then you are expecting both parents to be homozygous lavender (ie - opal) or some terrific odds in the hatchlings that only the snows picked up both het lavender genes from the parents and none of the amels did.

Ok, thanks for the views so far, so both would have to be het for anery to produce snows? and what abt getting amels from an amel/normal pairing? is this usual? i thought that normal was dominant over everything? i am so confused over these genetics lol

Your title says "Amel + Amel" so that's what they explained. If the pairing was Normal X Amel, then the Normal is het Amel and Anery...while the Amel is het Anery.

Here are 2 types of Snows I hatched out last year. One with lots of pink, and another with none...
DSC_0234.jpg

If the female, a normal, was paired with an amel and you have produced snows, then the female is het for amel AND anery and your male amel is het for anery.

Amel and anery are exceptionally common traits that are carried in heterozygous form.

Ok, thanks for the views so far, so both would have to be het for anery to produce snows? and what abt getting amels from an amel/normal pairing? is this usual? i thought that normal was dominant over everything? i am so confused over these genetics lol

Your other pairing of normal X amel produced amels because the normal is het for amel. Since you did not get any snows or anerys in that pairing, the normal is most likely not het for anery.

Back