• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Amel but pale?

IguanaMama

Love at first sight
I saw a pretty snake in my local pet shop. It looked like an amel except just much paler than normal amel. The saddles were pink instead of red and where the orange would be, it was light, pale orange. Background was creamy white, pink eyes. Any idea what this is or is it just a washed out amel?

Without a picture it really would be basically impossible to tell you anything with any certainty. It COULD be a very light amel, it COULD be a coral snow, it COULD be an opal. And it also could be an amel in the last stages of blue phase. Those are the only possibilities that come to mind at the moment but it is not possible to tell without seeing the snake.

It's all your fault, Gardenmum, that I'm searching for a pink snake to begin with. I'm trying hard not to brake the 11th commandment about coveting thy cyberneighbor's snake by getting my own. :cheers:

I can't do pictures with my ancient computer. My dh is working on saving up for a new computer (so why am I spending all our money on our pets?) It didn't look like it was going to shed. Also, not an opal. From what I can tell, coral snows are all pink, just different shades on base, saddles, etc. This one has a very creamy colored background, no hint of pink. The only pink on it is is the solid pink saddles. It has light orange spots between the saddles. It looks exactly like an ordinary amel, except that it's saddles are pink instead of red. I can only get one more snake, so I want to make sure I get one that I'll be happy with. The pressure is on! Also, it's expensive--$60. All the "regular" corns are the same price. They had amels, normals and this one mixed together for $60 each. There were two unremarkable snows, they were $70. I was tempted to mail order a corn, but I really want to see my snake before I get it. I keep thinking about this one. I went back a second time to see it today, but walked out without it. Even though I like it, I just wish I knew what exactly it is. They don't even know the sex, that bothers me a little too. I think I'll visit it again tomorrow. They will think I'm nuts, but so what I guess.

If it is just a light amel, does that make it generally undesirable? Like one that a breeder might sell right away and not hold back?

Thanks for your help!

Does it look similar to this hatchling compared to a "regular" amel? This one and his brother had me confused when it first hatched, but after a shed or two, I now know they are butters.

Iguana-

Amelanistics have a huge variety. Think about it, regular amel, flourescent, candy cane, etc etc.

I'm assuming you've just found a light amel. Being light does not make it undesireable. Personally, I'd love a lighter amel. I've got a really dark one, and she's gorgeous, but I'd still love a lighter one. Basically, what you see if what the snake will probably pass down. I'd think that if the one you found bred, it would produce lighter than normal amels.

Here are a few pics of some Amels, with the first being what I suspect you're seeing? These are off Gino's Sassani's website, www.lwreptiles.com.

Kent.jpg

Nell.jpg

Hestia.jpg

The last one is an albino okeetee, but I'm just trying to show the variation. If you go to Rich's website you can see the flourescent and candy cane ones, which are all just selective amels.

Hope this helps!

Susan, those are beauties, but Joe got it right with the first picture. It's a light amel, then. It's way below FREEZING in NYC today, so I won't be going back for it anyway. I really want another snake, but it looks like I just might have to be patient to get the snake I really want which is an all PINK PINK PINK one like the one Gardenmum has. There is a reptile expo coming up in mid-January, but I wonder if it would be too cold to come home with one then too. OK I'll just take care of the babies I have now and whenever the right one comes along, I'll get it. My anery is about to shed oh boy are her eyes ever blue!
Thanks all for your replies!

I got him!

I went back and got him (or her?) today. I am totally smitten, will post pics as soon as I am able. (OH PLEASE SANTA, a new computer would be so nice.)

He Just Shed--now He's Bright Orange Oh My!

The "pink" saddles are looking very orangy now. Now he looks more like the reverse Okeetee. OK so he wasn't what I set out to get, but boy oh boy (or maybe girl) he sure is GORGEOUS!!!! I'm in LOVE, I really can't keep my eyes off of him!!! I'll just have to make room for a forth and wait till the '05 babies come out for a pink one, but right now I'm just seeing orange and I'm suprisingly happy.
Gardenmum, you were RIGHT about being in shed! Are you clarvoyant? BTW, do you have breeding plans for your gorgeous motley pink snow?

Back