• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Amel het Anery? "Orange Amel"? Advice pls!

Kel

Hi there. Just wondered what would be the correct description for this guy? He's similar to a Reverse Okeetee Amel, but has dark orange borders to his saddles, as opposed to white borders. He has a lot less white than a traditional Amel and is far more orange. He's het for Anery, as when I breed him to a Snow, I come out with 50% Snows, 50% pale-looking Amels.

Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• joshi1.jpg
    joshi1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Here are his belly markings, in case it helps:

Attachments

• joshibelow.jpg
    joshibelow.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 57
Your amel would best be described as a "not so perfect" sunglow amel. It's not perfect because you can still see some white, but you still have a really sweet looking snake!

Reactions: Kel
Thanks for the ideas. I've played around with the notion of him being Hypo, but if that were the case then breeding him with a Snow would throw up some Normals & Anerys along the way, which hasn't happened yet.

As he's twelve years old, it's unlikely that he'd be one of the newer morphs. I rather like the notion of him being an imperfect "prototype" Sunglow, but it's not something that I'd be prepared to quote to anyone buying his offspring.

Looks like I'll be sticking to a more descriptive "Orange Amel", unless anyone can think of a reason why not? I know morph names tend to be a bit contentious when selling hatchlings and I don't want to feel that I'm misrepresenting anything.

Whatever he is, he's certainly a good-looking bloke!

It may be my computer or my eyes, but I don't see any black. Plus, it looks like his eyes are red. If they are, then hypo is out. Orange Amel seems like a perfect description...better to under-describe than to go over-board and get "yelled" at!

Thanks Susan. You're right - the photo isn't great, but he has no black or brown anywhere on him. He's just shades of orange, with a white & orange belly and orange eyes.

In light of all replies, it's hard to think of him as anything other than an "Orange Amel" really. Thanks for the input, everyone.

I see black on the rings as well and thought of Hypo immediatly. But if you say it has red eyes it has to be Amel.. Interesting.

Need clarification on eyes!

Hi, Kel. In your last post on this topic, you said your snake has orange eyes. What do you mean by orange? There's a real -- and important -- difference between the red (with red pupils) eyes of an amel and the orange eyes (with black pupils) of a hypo. I have a couple of hypos and a couple of motley/het hypos that have light-orange eyes with black pupils, and the casual observer might say they have eyes similar to an amel.

The main reason I ask is, like Clint, I think your snake looks like some sort of hypo/amel -- maybe even like an ultramel. If you haven't read through the thread on this forum called "Ultra mystery," you need to do so. It's about 19 pages, but the person who started the thread has a male that looks similar to yours (only he has a little more white and he's a motley). Looking down at him, you'd swear he was an amel, but looking at his eyes, it's clear that he isn't. They're calling him an ultramel -- a snake that's het ultra hypo and het amel, but shows some characteristics of each. I'm not sure which page of that thread Kel posted the photo of her male on, but his name is Deathy, so you could possibly do a search on this forum with the word Deathy and find it more easily on another thread.

Liz

Thanks Liz.

OK, one disgruntled Corn Snake later...! I've taken him out and checked him again - his eyes are definitely pale orange with dark orange pupils. There's no brown or black in them, so seems that we're back with Amel again.

I'm now looking at Deathy's photo next to the one of my guy, Joshi. I would say that Joshi is a sort of "reversed" version of Deathy, and slightly less vibrant (although he's twelve years old now and was brighter when younger). Comparing the two, I'm seeing:

Joshi
Background - bright orange
Saddles - deep orange
Saddle borders - darker orange (with very occasional flecks of white)

Deathy
Background - deep orange
Saddles - bright orange
Saddle borders - white

I think that brings me back to Amel as well?

Back