• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Amphibians - Need Advice

Siren

I got a Water's Edge tank.

p_22525_31216P.jpg

It is a very cool tank that gives you the choice of doing a tank with land and water. Perfect for frogs, newts, etc.

So I'd like to do a mix. But I want to find the right mix that would mean that animals of different species are more likely to get along.

I figured deffinetly some fish. Just feeder guppies/mosquito fish. That's a given.
But I want some other animals.
I was looking at dwarf sirens. I've always wanted a siren.
I would also like to get some frogs and/or newts.
Now I do not mind at all if some of the fish get eaten. I've had red eye tree frogs and done well with them. But I am unsure what they can be safely mixed with if anything. Now, should something not get along with something else, I have plenty of backup tanks. I wouldn't mind separating them if things go wrong.

So please help me out there guys. What should or shouldn't I do?

Also, the water's edge tank is getting real plants. There are three "pots" already cut into the foam for fake or real plants. I chose to get some ferns and a bromeliad rather than go with the fake stuff. This will also give plenty of soft, moist bedding for frogs and/or newts to dig themselves into.

Thanks for any help in advance!

That is a NICE tank! Have you considered inverts? I'd love a tank like that for shrimp or crays, but I'm sure that tank was pricey for you. I breed my inverts in ugly little boxes. But if you want some cherry shrimp, I have an abundance of them right now. You could make it a small paludarium. Have you ever considered mudskippers? They're so darn cute! Some male endlers would be pretty and colorful in there as well, or if you got a few females that have been hit you would have lots of babies that could serve as a food source as well.

There are really a lot of options for it, and I can't wait to see what you decide to do! I hope you'll continue to post lots of photos on the progression!

That tank is expensive. $300-400. I got it for $50, never used :D Its missing a top, which I am ordering from the company this week. It didn't come with the fake plants, which I didn't want anyways either. Also didn't come with the light strip. The glass top and light strip will only cost me about $40 all together with the bulb, so its a damn good deal. I got it from my work, a mom/pop pet store. So I am truly excited.

I don't want to do inverts. I've had crayfish before. Had a blue lobster actually. I loved him. He was so cool. Then my eel ate him when he molted. Mind you, they lived together in the tank for a good 2 years with no issues :(

I will look into mudskippers. Didn't think about them. But I got a think for mudpuppies and sirens

Thanks! And no plans on acquiring one of those. :)

Mainly looking at a mudpuppy or a siren as the focus creature of the tank. Also trying to find something that may not outgrow the tank.

Here is the tank in progression of being set up...

Clean slate...Water's Edge tank...
IMG_0638.jpg

Added the rocks and some real plants (ferns and bromeliad)
IMG_0639.jpg

Water and fish added
IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Nice, but mollies prefer larger water spaces, I typically keep them in 55 gallon tanks. Sorry, used to keep and breed a ton of live bearers until snakes. lol

Well if you are going to keep any amphibians, i would only go with 1 species in your tank. Since most would try to eat each other.
If you do try newts, you can keep a few and even fill that up a little bit more. I think some eastern newts would be nice in there along with some Native Dwarf live bearers aka least killies. I am not sure how far you are from St. Augustine but you can check out Sachs Systems Aquaculture store http://www.aquaculturestore.com/
It might be fun to do a native tank.

I got the molly from my 55 gl tank. I only threw her in there to test the water for livability. She's been doing great for the past few hours. Tomorrow she can go back to the 55 gl.

And I live 30 min from St. Aug. I will check it out there.

Back