• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

An amazing artist

dndvictory

Standard poodle lover
Read the story first.

This video shows the winner of "Ukraine’s Got Talent", Kseniya Simonova, 24, drawing a series of pictures on an illuminated sand table showing how ordinary people were affected by the German invasion during World War II. Her talent, which admittedly is a strange one, is mesmeric to watch.

The images, projected onto a large screen, moved many in the audience to tears and she won the top prize of about £75,000.

She begins by creating a scene showing a couple sitting holding hands on a bench under a starry sky, but then warplanes appear and the happy scene is obliterated.

It is replaced by a woman’s face crying, but then a baby arrives and the woman smiles again. Once again war returns and Miss Simonova throws the sand into chaos from which a young woman’s face appears.

She quickly becomes an old widow, her face wrinkled and sad, before the image turns into a monument to an Unknown Soldier.

This outdoor scene becomes framed by a window as if the viewer is looking out on the monument from within a house.

In the final scene, a mother and child appear inside and a man standing outside, with his hands pressed against the glass, saying goodbye.

The Great Patriotic War, as it is called in Ukraine, resulted in one in four of the population being killed with eight to 11 million deaths out of a population of 42 million.

Kseniya Simonova says:
"I find it difficult enough to create art using paper and pencils or paintbrushes, but using sand and fingers is beyond me. The art, especially when the war is used as the subject matter, even brings some audience members to tears. And there’s surely no bigger compliment."
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vOhf3OvRXKg

THIS VIDEO IS EPIC! I saw it months ago and posted it everywhere I could. It just blows my mind that it's just SAND! Absolutely amazing.

It is amazing to what level a person can ascend when practicing his calling. Truly outstanding.

Also, I kind of thought that maybe the man that was with her in the beginning was MIA, and was assumed dead... and then in the end, he found her again- which is why the kid pressed his hand to the window... it seemed like a very emotional meeting, rather than separation... maybe I'm just hopeful for happy endings

That is pretty cool. Tara says it's a "neat medium." God I hope we don't have to get sand and a light table for the living room.... ;)

That's truly amazing. The images alone were great (especially considering that it was made using sand), but the story is what really pulled it all together. It was such a vivid story, and she told it flawlessly. The first images were great, but I was in awe at how she perfectly formed the woman's crying face. And from there it just got more intense.

Thanks for sharing!

Whats so amazing about sand art to me is that it seems to shade itself and almost appear three dimensional so quickly its like the sand is making its own art and the hands arnt doing anything.

Whats so amazing about sand art to me is that it seems to shade itself and almost appear three dimensional so quickly its like the sand is making its own art and the hands arnt doing anything.

Her dexterity, she must have been doing this for a long time. She's like a master slight-of-hand artist, sometimes she barely touches the sand and you can't see her do it.

I like that they used Apocolyptica's instrumental cover of Metallica's song at the end.

Back