• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

An apology to those of you who....

medusacoils

Mr. Enigma!
I have picked on because you have to use wusy gloves. LOL! I have four king snakes and they are on the verge of getting big. They aren't aggressive, but like to eat anything that smells different from anything else around them. Getting bit by them when they are little isn't anything special. Getting bit by the ones that are pushing 4+ feet is a little different.

I think I am on the verge of getting a hook and a pair of "wusy" gloves. :punch: Especially now that we have a new hungry Cali King waiting to grow up and make a meal out of me.

Wayne

Attachments

• bite1.JPG
    bite1.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 128
  • bite2.JPG
    bite2.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Neat. So it is 100% albino/snow...or whatever the correct jargon is for a king...???...

She was sold to us, from NERD's, as a Blizzard Cali King. Not sure exactly how it all works on the King Snakes, but maybe. :shrugs: Still learning their genetics and such.

Wayne

She is beautiful. My male cali king will bite anything that he touches. He tried to eat a cup, a towel and of course me last feeding day.

Apology accepted... fellow wuss, lol! It's not even the bites themselves that cause me to wear gloves during feeding time. It's the whole bite, strangle, and stay hung on for a year that makes me wear them for some of my snakes. Usually the bite still goes through the gloves, but at least I can work it off until the snake realized that it has no nutritional value.

BTW, Awesome snake. I remember seeing a group of babies like that at the NERE a couple of years ago. Wasn't sure exactly what the morph was, but they were really neat.

Beautiful li'l king.:)
Younger/Baby Kings can be more "bitey", &/or "musky", but tend to outgrow that with handling (not saying this is 100% but that it does tend to happen).
The Kings (Calis included) that I have, and have had, are/were real sweethearts. Incredible appetites, & feed response, but non-biting, etc., of humans.
However, one adult (a Florida X) did have a one time only event (a couple years ago) of grabbing hold of my hand (with a bite), coiling around my wrist/arm, and not letting go... she was locked on! The slightest movement, from me, and my girl just bit down harder and coiled tighter... which, of course, made it hurt more. Water does not phase her either. So, I ended up having to call out, to my hubby, to help me remove her. She never did it before and ... has not done that since.:)

Cute cute chompy little thing! I don't own kings, but it does seem from those I've interacted with that the babies are crazy-bitey and then they calm down. I've yet to be bitten by an adult kingsnake. But oh my, I would totally let that adorable little worm chew on me! I love it!

Lovely new king! My luck with the kings is that they are sweet as babies, but get worse with age. At least the male Cali king I had was that way. If he even thought it moved, he would bite and strangle it. It didn't have to smell anything like a potential meal, just be within reach and catch his eye. That snake would actually lunge out of his viv at me! This was taken after one bout with him. That's my blood he's wearing.

Attachments

• Napoleon Dec '06 - close up - 4.jpg
    Napoleon Dec '06 - close up - 4.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 88
Owch! We visited a Mexican Black Kingsnake at a pet store last night. He pretty much attempted to take out the woman who was helping us. I kind of fell in love but my boyfriend vetoed leaving with him, lol!

Don't do the wuss gloves!!!
Wear your bites with pride like they are a tattoo... of something you're proud of.

I had many different types of Kings when my collection was, well, an actual collection. Quite a few of them grew out of the "eat everything that moves... or doesn't move" phase. But there were more than a couple that didn't. There was an adult male MBK that I had that was pushing 5 feet. Like Susan's King, he would FLY out of his tub every time I opened it. On one such occasion, the first thing his mouth touched was my shoe (he was in the bottom tub of the rack because of his leaping.) Once his mouth touched the shoe, he decided that was his meal. He chomped down on the toe and started constricting poor Chuck Taylor. Had a heck of a time getting him off of there.

Beautiful li'l king.:)
Younger/Baby Kings can be more "bitey", &/or "musky", but tend to outgrow that with handling (not saying this is 100% but that it does tend to happen).
The Kings (Calis included) that I have, and have had, are/were real sweethearts. Incredible appetites, & feed response, but non-biting, etc., of humans.
However, one adult (a Florida X) did have a one time only event (a couple years ago) of grabbing hold of my hand (with a bite), coiling around my wrist/arm, and not letting go... she was locked on! The slightest movement, from me, and my girl just bit down harder and coiled tighter... which, of course, made it hurt more. Water does not phase her either. So, I ended up having to call out, to my hubby, to help me remove her. She never did it before and ... has not done that since.:)

I was hoping that MBK's would grow out of it but even at two and over 2 feet long, they are still bitey. As babies, I don't mind being bit. Doesn't hurt all that much, but getting tagged by biggin would probably hurt.

Wayne

Back