• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anery Question

snakehobbyist

Back in August, I purchased an Anery Motley male at the NARBC in Arlington. I've always been under the impression that anerys are black and grey. However, with each shed, Travis (the snake) seems to be getting more and more "pink" in color where the grey once was. Is this normal for anerys?

My regular anery is very brown. They do brown out as they age, when they are babies they are the black/grey color.
I guess you could have something extra in there, but it's hard to say without pictures.

Let me see if I can get some recent pictures of him that show the pink. I thought he might have some lavender in him...but he's not very...lavendery.

Here are a few pictures that I took from my iPhone. It's dark out so I can't get any in natural light. All I have is a fluorescent light that makes him look very orange. The "orange" in these pictures is really light...like a nude color. The one of his side profile is usually the "pink" that I see. Also, there's some pictures where you can see the "grey" of his back end and the "pink/nude" of his head area.

24345515.jpg

41371426.jpg

65447324.jpg

79131000.jpg

For comparison, here's what he looked like the day I got him back in August:

40878618.jpg

Now, I know he's just an anery, but, I am more curious if this color change is normal. I have a snow and I know she is currently changing form a pink color to white and I have a bloodred who's getting darker with age. Is this just a normal age thing for Anerys? Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience with this morph.

Yes it is normal. If you do a search for some of susan's or jenn from ghosthouse aneries you will see a varying degree of melanin change over time. Our anery motleys do show some pink undertones and various degrees of melanin (from light to dark) with aging.

Wow was typing response as you posted pics. The orange on the pics makes him look like a normal in the front half. Melanin will vary with age and change is normal.

Yes! I hate this lighting! It really does make him look normal. He's definitely anery (I have a normal...two actually). I'll try to update some pictures tomorrow with a better camera and better light so you can see it better. I'm glad it's just a normal aging thing.

same here looks caramel I have a brown anery brown being the saddle color its grayish in background color I also have what was sold to me as a caramel anery by a reputable breeder I wont name. Ive seen a few listed as anery that weren't the cookie cutter black and gray. My brown is 3.5 months old and the caramel is a year old. You have a beautiful snake

The lighting almost looks caramel like to me.

same here looks caramel I have a brown anery brown being the saddle color its grayish in background color I also have what was sold to me as a caramel anery by a reputable breeder I wont name. Ive seen a few listed as anery that weren't the cookie cutter black and gray. My brown is 3.5 months old and the caramel is a year old. You have a beautiful snake

With those colors and pattern it looks like a caramel motley.

I was thinking carmal motly also ...im no expert but must be getting better at identifing morphs...

If you look at the color of the OP's hand in those photos, you will see that the images are much too red and yellow to be true...that, or the OP needs to see a doctor!

Anerys do often get varying amounts of peachy coloration, especially during their first couple of years. After that, melanin starts filling in the peach color in most specimens. Here are some "pastel" anerys in their most colorful stage:

Attachments

• Figaro Nov '04 - close up - 3.JPG
    Figaro Nov '04 - close up - 3.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Fury Nov '05 - close up - 5.JPG
    Fury Nov '05 - close up - 5.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Striker Dec '08.jpg
    Striker Dec '08.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 67
Wow Susan those look incredible, but the first and second pics are georgous. Are those your snakes or just photos from the net?

Susan has a pretty good picture that shows the "pink"! That's a lot like the color my boy is displaying.

I did grab my mother's camera and tried to take some natural light pictures. It's overcast, so they aren't the best...not to mention Travis is so hard to photograph because I swear he's on speed most of the time...always wiggling. The best pictures I could get were when I put him in my slipper. It gave me about 0.2 seconds to photograph him before he was on the move!

30546235.jpg

35948003.jpg

76590552.jpg

74867492.jpg

I see now.... looks like a normal anery motley just starting to get colorful. Would not doubt if it gets real light color over the next year and then darkens up after that. That is what "Booger" did and "Boogette" is doing the same thing. Both are on our iherp page if you wanna check them out. Booger is an '07 model and Boogette is a '11 model:).

Most Anery A based morphs tend to have various degrees of yellow coloration.

Last edited:
The new pictures show much better! I sort of see the pink you are talking about, but I think it might be just the way the motley makes him look.

It's amazing what a little natural light does, right?

I love those pictures so much better. Even though it was overcast, it captured his colors A LOT better.

All the anerys I've seen all have yellow in it. Some BRIGHT (like my snow) and some are more of an accent color. I like the yellow. The black and grey with yellow is what has always attracted me to the anery morph. I'm pleased to know he'll darken up with some age on him. He was born in June of this year, so he's still pretty young!

Back