• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anery, Type A B and C

Puritania

Now, I understand that Type A is a normal Anery, with that nice yellow highlight on them, and Type B is Charcoals, WTF is a Type C? And how can you pick out a Type B from a bunch of type A's? I have a Type a, 100%, but I was sold another little Anery, and was told that it was a Charcoal, but I'm not too sure about it. There is no yellow on him, just an orangey pink in between saddles every once and a while. Anyone have something I could review about the differences between the three?

Thanks.
Jaz.

"Anery C's" are pretty different, IMO they aren't very Anery at all even though they are grey when they hatch. Most the them develop varying amounts of red in the saddle as they mature. The morph is fairly new so it's kind of hard to come up with a hard list of identifying characteristics besides the grey with red creeping in. I decided to sell mine as "Cinders" so you may see them called that as well. I wanted them to have a name people could search on to find more info about, the names Anery C and Morph Z were terrible for that. This pic isn't the greatest because she wouldn't be still, but it shows how the red/pink creeps in. This is an 06 animal.

Attachments

• P1013189.JPG
    P1013189.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 107
Here's something I posted in another thread:

AneryA: Black/brown/dark gray pattern with a lighter gray ground color. Lacks the ability to produce red or orange pigment. Pupil is black, iris is light gray. They usually develop a lot of yellow, especially on the sides of their necks.

AneryB (a.k.a. "Charcoal"): Black/dark gray pattern with gray ground color, but with less contrast between pattern and ground than the typical AneryA. Lacks the ability to produce red or orange pigment. Pupil is black, iris is dark gray, and is usually hardly discernible from the pupil in normal light. They usually don't develop much or any yellow, but there are exceptions.

AneryC (a.k.a. "Cinder", "Z-Morph"): Hard to describe, and there aren't that many in existence. Hatchlings have reddish brown pattern with silvery-gray ground color. Reddish brown pattern may fade to gray as the snake matures. Pupils are black, iris is bronzish-gold. You really need to see some photos to get a feel for the look. Do a search for "cinder".

The main pattern types are normal, motley, stripe, and diffused. You can search for these key words to get an idea of the different looks.

Ghosts are corns that are both AneryA and Hypomelanistic (a mutant gene that reduces blacks and browns). As with most corn morphs, there is huge variation in appearance from snake to snake. Corns that are AneryB and Hypo are usually called "Phantoms", but they are sometimes referred to as "Charcoal Ghosts".

Type A = Anery
Type B = Charcoal
Type C = Cinder

These are all three different morphs. It would be hard to give you much information without seeing a visual comparison of the two. Post some pictures as this will help. Yes it is common for Charcoals (Anery B) not to have any yellow but that is not always true. Charcoals tend to have a "Bluish" coloration more towards the top of the head as well. Like I said I would have to see some pictures of the two, preferably side by side comparisons. Anery C (Cinder) is all together different then the other two. If you had one you would know it. I have noticed that some Cinders tend to retain small amounts of the red colorations. You can also take advantage of the F.A.Q. and SEARCH functions located at the top of the page. I would strongly suggest that if you are going to be interested in the different morphs that you educate yourself with a little reading material. These are the three books that I like to call the "HOLY TRINITY" and are a must have for any serious Cornsnake keeper/breeder. Hope this helps.
Jay :cool:

Cornsnakes: The Comprehensive Owners Guide - By Kathy and Bill Love

Corn%20Snakes%20-%20The%20Comprehensive%20Owner's%20Manual,%20COVER.jpg

"Cornsnakes In Captivity" By Don Soderberg

Soderberg%202006%20book%20cover.jpg

"Cornsnake Morph Guide - 2007 Edition" By Chuck Pritzel

2007%20Morph%20Guide%20cover,%20LG.JPG

Last edited:
carol said:
"Anery C's" are pretty different, IMO they aren't very Anery at all even though they are grey when they hatch. Most the them develop varying amounts of red in the saddle as they mature. The morph is fairly new so it's kind of hard to come up with a hard list of identifying characteristics besides the grey with red creeping in. I decided to sell mine as "Cinders" so you may see them called that as well.
I think the name Cinder is appropriate for the red in the saddles. It brings to mind embers that haven't quite cooled and are still glowing red in the centers after the rest has already faded to grey. Poetic.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I do have the Cornsnake manual, but Charcoal or not, I have a hard time identifying some juvi's until they get a bit larger. I also have read the FAQ, on this forum, and another corn forum, and not to make myself sound half retarded, but I could barely understand it. The actual genetics are way above my head. And before you say that it's basic biology, let's just put it out there that I never got far enough in high school to take biology. The morph guide and the Genetics for Herpers books I think I'm going to pick up. Hopefully it will be in layman's terms for me.
Thanks for answering my questions, as stupid and basic as you think they are, everybody starts somewhere. I just need to learn the genetics part of this hobby, everything else I have down.

This is a good comparison picture for anery and charcoal....

Attachments

• anerycharcoal1.jpg
    anerycharcoal1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 72
  • anerycharcoal2.jpg
    anerycharcoal2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 73
So I'm going to go ahead and guess that the charcoal is the top one in the first picture there. Awesome. What I bought was a 'Female Charcoal' and what I actually got was a male anery. That makes for two male Anerys. :rolleyes: Hahaha, alrighty. Thanks for the help everyone. And yes, I will get studying up on genetics.

Back