• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

angry impulse buy

lovesbuggs

After venturing into petsmart yesterday for dog food I just had to stop by the snake vivs and check it out. No corns...but they did have a ball python that was looking really rough :(. Looked like a really bad shed and possible dehydration, wrinkly scales. I remembered they had one a few weeks ago that the guy said had a bad shed so I set out to find someone to answer some questions for me. Only took 15 mins to find someone. I asked if it was the same ball...they didn't know. I asked if it was eating...Ummm I think so, was the reply from the sales rep. I asked how long they had had it in the store...I don't know. Arrgh!! I asked...Is there someone else I can talk too?? No sorry, she said :mad: Ok. I walked away. Went to Starbucks. Couldn't stop thinking about the little guy and went back. Checked out the set up in the viv...normal petsmart set up....checked the temp 80, checked the humidity...ZERO. Went hunting for another sales rep. The girl literally rolled her eyes at me when I walked up to her! Anyway...I asked why the humidity reading was at 0 and she said... Oh there's humidity in there its just not on that wall... really??? Okay...do you know when he is to be fed again...tomorrow. Hallelujah an answer to one question. Anyway I went into a spill about bad sheds and humidity and she was getting angry at me and I was already furious, upset, frustrated and so on...she asked if there was anything else she could for me as there were other customers needing help...like she'd done so much...and I said... yeah...I'm taking him home...angry impulse buy. Now...I had all the set up I needed for him, it just wasn't set up yet...I got him home put him in a tub of lukewarm warm to soak while setting up his viv...and noticed small flakes starting to come off. I left him for about 20 mins then transferred him to the viv which I sprayed well with water...this morning big flakes of skin are in the viv. Substrate is coconut shavings with some aspen over the top, UTH, water bowl, hide, temp is 80, humidity is 70. I know that the rule of thumb is no handling for at least a week but in this case would it be wise to soak him everyday or just keep the humidity level up in the viv? I'm not sure if this is the one still dealing the bad shed from weeks ago. And if he was due to eat today should I try feeding or wait? Thanks in advance. I know impulse buying is bad but I just couldn't leave him :(

There is no way possible for this not to sound rude, but I don't mean it that way.

Please get the aspen out of there. That is going to exacerbate the shedding issues. Ball pythons need cypress, or something that helps boost hold the humidity up. Aspen is going cause you more work and trouble right now. It's possible to use it later, but I do not recommend it.

Honestly damp, barely misted paper towels are a better option to help the shedding. Make sure it had a dish big enough to soak in. He does not need daily soaks at this point. Keep him on the slightly damp paper towels.

Also, that heat needs to come up. Get it in the 85-87 zone. A little one with issues needs all the help they can get. You can try a fed, but don't be surprised if it won't eat. Feed something smaller than normal to gauge the response.

It also needs to be kept far away from your other reptiles. There is a chance it could possibly be sick.

I really hope you did not pay more than $25 for this snake. I know our hearts in the right place for rescues, but more often we set ourselves up for failure. Petsmart really struggles with ball pythons. I have almost never seen a healthy ball python there. Buying to rescue rewards the retailer. I know it's hard to see a sick baby, but I will bet you money by Wednesday two more will be in it's place.

I'm going to get preachy here, I'm sorry. I know you felt the need to "save" that animal but what you have ultimately done is perpetuate animal neglect. Please, please, please anyone else reading this thread don't PAY for reptile rescues!!! Now that particular Petsmart has made a profit on poorly caring for an animal and can buy two more to do the exact same thing with. And they can pay the hourly salary of the unhelpful staff that neither properly cared for the animal nor listened to your advice! If it had died or cost them veterinary money, they would not. In one year, I could probably give everyone on this site who wants one, a rescue ball python for free. I'll give you some "helpful" advice in another post if someone doesn't pretty much outline BP care in the next 15 minutes. But I honestly feel my rant is far more important in the big picture. I know their intentions are grand, but people have got to stop doing this.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to elrojo again

Chip, I agree with you 100%.

I know people's hearts are in the right place, but buying to rescue does no one any good and only benefits the retailer's crappy business model.

It wouldn't be as frustrating if I didn't spend so much time trying to find good homes for free ball pythons I already have the stuck sheds off and eating f/t. Yeah, I tried to rep your post as well!

Couldn't agree More! I was one of the "Lucky" ones. As the BP i got from a Local "PetStore" was in bad shape....But has come along.

Good luck with your BP. Hope everything goes well.

I know I've gone in to Petco or Petsmart a million times and have seen their reptiles not in the best condition. It's hard not to want to save them all. But if someone wants to buy an animal to give them a better life, why not? These pet stores will continuously get snakes or other reptiles in no matter what. But why let one animal suffer there just to keep the replacement animal away? Eventually that replacement will just be shipped off to another store. That's like telling someone to not adopt a pet from a shelter because of their poor living conditions? These pet stores will make money and sell animals regardless. The only thing we can do as consumers is complain to the company about what ever store you see the neglect take place in and maybe with enough complaints they'll listen and so something about it? I hope the Snake gets better Lovebugg, nice rescue. You should post pictures when you can!

I know I've gone in to Petco or Petsmart a million times and have seen their reptiles not in the best condition. It's hard not to want to save them all. But if someone wants to buy an animal to give them a better life, why not? These pet stores will continuously get snakes or other reptiles in no matter what. But why let one animal suffer there just to keep the replacement animal away? Eventually that replacement will just be shipped off to another store. That's like telling someone to not adopt a pet from a shelter because of their poor living conditions? These pet stores will make money and sell animals regardless. The only thing we can do as consumers is complain to the company about what ever store you see the neglect take place in and maybe with enough complaints they'll listen and so something about it? I hope the Snake gets better Lovebugg, nice rescue. You should post pictures when you can!

If everyone says 'They'll get money anyways,' then they will! Each consumer really is very important.

If everyone says 'They'll get money anyways,' then they will! Each consumer really is very important.

I'm not saying don't give up on the fight to change it. But by saying don't buy from there is ultimately like washing their hands of the whole thing. Go in & complain, write letters to the company. Do something besides sit back and say don't shop there anymore. Because that's not doing anything to help your cause. I see ignorant ppl in there all the time, and I have a friend who works for petco. If someone feels that strongly about the animal neglect that goes on there, then they need to do more then just say...don't shop there! IMO

So taking in overpriced rescues that you may or may not know how to care for is the better option? The is a very recent case of crypto in someone's collection that came from a petco.

It is worth risking every animal in your collection? No.

Send complaints about the company to management. Don't shop there and support the pitiful reptile departments. It makes a difference. My local petsmart kept getting in sick chameleons. People complained, no one bought them (not even to rescue) and you know what? That store STOPPED carrying chameleons. They have also stopped carrying skinks and leopard geckos because they were sick and no one bought them.

I'm sorry guys. I didn't mean to upset anyone. Thanks for the advice though. I don't try to rescue as I admit I'm not seasoned at owning snakes and have only owned corns. I was just so angry and upset and I think it was more that the sales rep was so indifferent and didn't know anything about it. Like it wasn't a big deal or something. BloodyBaroness... thanks. I will make the changes you suggested. He really is sweet and alert. I paid $40 for him knocked from the normal $80 (Labor Day sale). Didn't think it was too bad especially if something went tragically terribly wrong with him. He is in a different room than my corn snakes. Sarah1228...I can definitely see both sides here. Thanks again everyone.

I'm not saying don't give up on the fight to change it. But by saying don't buy from there is ultimately like washing their hands of the whole thing. Go in & complain, write letters to the company.

These things are not mutually exclusive. You can complain & go on a letter writing campaign as well as refuse to PAY for a neglected animal. From my vantage point (owning a pet store) I'd wager the latter is every bit as effective, if not more! As long as the reptile category is profitable, it will grow.

I'm sorry guys. I didn't mean to upset anyone. Thanks for the advice though. I don't try to rescue as I admit I'm not seasoned at owning snakes and have only owned corns. I was just so angry and upset and I think it was more that the sales rep was so indifferent and didn't know anything about it. Like it wasn't a big deal or something. BloodyBaroness... thanks. I will make the changes you suggested. He really is sweet and alert. I paid $40 for him knocked from the normal $80 (Labor Day sale). Didn't think it was too bad especially if something went tragically terribly wrong with him. He is in a different room than my corn snakes. Sarah1228...I can definitely see both sides here. Thanks again everyone.

Taking in a rescue is hard. It's hard on the season pros and even harder on people who are new to snakes.

You have a pretty hard battle ahead of you. Ball pythons in that condition often need to be assist or force fed.

I honestly don't mean to be sound rude to you. I just tell it like it is.

I hope he turns around, but please kept it in your mind he may not.

So taking in overpriced rescues that you may or may not know how to care for is the better option? The is a very recent case of crypto in someone's collection that came from a petco.

It is worth risking every animal in your collection? No.

Send complaints about the company to management. Don't shop there and support the pitiful reptile departments. It makes a difference. My local petsmart kept getting in sick chameleons. People complained, no one bought them (not even to rescue) and you know what? That store STOPPED carrying chameleons. They have also stopped carrying skinks and leopard geckos because they were sick and no one bought them.

If that's what someone wants to do that's their own prerogative. And that's awesome what happened in your case. I'm glad by the power of your community you guys put a stop to that. But some areas are too large to get everyone involved to stop the store from getting or selling the sick and neglected reptiles. Everyone beats up on people who just want to save an innocent animal. Over priced? I didn't know there was a price on wanting to save something's life. I'm. not going to sit here and argue. Everyone has their own opinion, but someone ppl shouldn't be so harsh on someone else for doing such a good thing. I praise Lovebugg for having a heart and taking a chance. If I would purchase a possible sick animal, I would quarantine it until I knew it was save to bring around my other pets. So yes I would rescue anything I had the power to rescue!

These things are not mutually exclusive. You can complain & go on a letter writing campaign as well as refuse to PAY for a neglected animal. From my vantage point (owning a pet store) I'd wager the latter is every bit as effective, if not more! As long as the reptile category is profitable, it will grow.

Exactly. Stores to do not carry what is not profitable.

Money talks. Seeing money walk out the door is not what a retailer wants. Sure the big box store don't feel the sting as soon, but it works.

Complain and don't support the shoddy reptile department.

It doesn't hurt to try! But I'm all about saving some poor animal, or trying to. every little bit helps, fight the battle wisely, or talk to someone who works at the store. Educate them!!! Give the worker better care instructions. A lot of times they have NO clue on how to take care of these Exotic animals.

It doesn't hurt to try! But I'm all about saving some poor animal, or trying to. every little bit helps, fight the battle wisely, or talk to someone who works at the store. Educate them!!! Give the worker better care instructions. A lot of times they have NO clue on how to take care of these Exotic animals.

It does "hurt to try" when you BUY the animal. It categorically does hurt! They will, not might, will buy more if the department is profitable. They might improve conditions if there are complaints. They will improve conditions or stop carrying the animals if they lose money. Yes, some of them have no clue how to take care of exotics. But some don't care! If they are making money the way they are keeping them now, why add work? I have met (and worked for) box store owners with this view. Other store managers probably do care, but are frankly too ignorant to be in charge of caring for reptiles. They don't deserve your money, either. But most importantly, by buying one ill-cared for animal, you are assuring that fate for more.

By the way, I'm not being harsh on you or the OP, I am being harsh on making animal neglect profitable.

Well there will be others out there. Its a long huge battle with the industry, that probably will never end. Because If its not one store, it will be another store. I wish I could save them all or knock some sense in to the owners of the company but I can't. All I can do is try to help, and help save some animals in the process. Along with educating even the most ignorant and less caring employees.

Back