• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Animal Rights

Honestly, I don't believe in animal rights. I believe in animal welfare. I believe it's our responsibility to care for animals under our protection. That being said, I do strongly believe that it is important to support the psychological health of animals in our care.

For example, most of us on CS agree that it stresses corns out when they are co-habbed. So, most of us have them in individual environments so that they are not stressed. Guinea pigs become very withdrawn when alone. Having a single guinea pig is a lot different than having a pair or more. Because guinea pigs are social, having them in pairs or groups entices them to eat, exercise, and talk more.

I do agree that the chickens need to be in better conditions, just as I believe that slaughter houses should care more for the cattle, pigs, and sheep. Taking care of the basic needs of an animal, and then taking care of the mental health of the animal should be top priority. Stress animals become sick easier and that causes us to spend more on their care.

Let's put this in a short way because I wrote a thesis on this a few years ago. While it seems strange to you and probably to others, I believe that I agree and say that doing what the "animal rights" people did is good.

I hope I don't offend anyone with that. It's hard to say what I mean without a longer post.

Snakemom, why do you think it's too far? I'm interested in your view.

I have quoted the first paragraph of the article you linked.

Starting in 2015, every egg sold in California will have to comply with strict hen-rights rules. Cages will have to be large enough for the birds to stand up, lie down and spread their wings without touching each other or the sides of the cage. California voters adopted these rules for in-state egg producers two years ago. Last week, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a law that extended the rules to out-of-state producers who want to sell their eggs in California.

In the first sentence it says "California". Enough said.

Got something against California there, Wade?

I also do not believe in 'rights' for any creature that does not show sapience. I am 100% for animal welfare.

As a vet tech, I'm bloody proud of my state for recognising that the way most farm animals are raised and kept is beyond cruel. Good on us for making the lives of animals that we use something other than a perpetual nightmare.

im so happy that states like california are making a move like this.

I have worked many summers on chicken farms growing up and even now when i have the time to help out my family. They try their best to give them room keep them healthy and care for them, but seeing what large corporate farming does to the animal is wrong in so many ways a lot of the time. nothing against corporations but just against their optimization techniques.

like shiari said, good on us for saving a lot of animals from a life of complete torture.
At least they can now stand up....move their arms...and breath a little.

If anything i feel there should be more laws protecting animals. many states have no laws against the protection of reptiles amphibians and avians. i suppose we really like to hate on the dinosaurs?

i feel a lot of the time there are many things we could learn from animals and the way they live, as well as distill concepts that we arnt harming the world around us with the way some people keep animals or use them. Even with the goldfish rule from that other country. good for them! People dont think about it..but im sure the goldfish is much happier being able to do what it has evolved to do. same for every animal <3

In Canada, the electrical tape has a warning that it contains ingredients that the state of California says are carcinogenic. I was never worried because I wasn't planning to eat it, but I always wondered about California. Do people in California eat electrical tape?

Even with the goldfish rule from that other country. good for them! People dont think about it..but im sure the goldfish is much happier being able to do what it has evolved to do. same for every animal <3

I thought about that today! I had a young man come in and ask for a hermit crab, but I had to turn him away because he was under 18. He came back within minutes with his grandmother, so she must have been waiting for him in the car. She asked if she was old enough. I said of course, so she asked why he couldn't get the crab himself. I explained that we don't sell animals to anyone under 18. She snapped "why?" and I further explained that we don't want to send an animal home with a child who may not have permission to have it and she gave me a look like I was the idiot and huffed off.

Megan, I love the state of California. I can not imagine what the world would be if the state of California was not there to warn of all the potential hazards we face every day. Just think of the horror if Canadians were to use electrical tape carelessly. I shutter to think.

I mean seriously, where else would you find "hen-rights rules"?

I thought about that today! I had a young man come in and ask for a hermit crab, but I had to turn him away because he was under 18. He came back within minutes with his grandmother, so she must have been waiting for him in the car. She asked if she was old enough. I said of course, so she asked why he couldn't get the crab himself. I explained that we don't sell animals to anyone under 18. She snapped "why?" and I further explained that we don't want to send an animal home with a child who may not have permission to have it and she gave me a look like I was the idiot and huffed off.
She apparently had/has well behaved children & grandchildren! Considering all the things I caught & dragged home, from the time I was 3, I can't imagine what my parents would have done if I'd had access to a pet store that would sell me animals!

Megan, I love the state of California. I can not imagine what the world would be if the state of California was not there to warn of all the potential hazards we face every day. Just think of the horror if Canadians were to use electrical tape carelessly. I shutter to think.

I mean seriously, where else would you find "hen-rights rules"?

Just think of the horror indeed if potentially harmful chemicals were not warned about.

DDT comes to mind, as well as asbestos.

And you never know. Some silly person in Utah might very well try to eat electrical tape. Utah isn't always known for common sense.

Nutty PETA people who are extremists I have a problem with.

Voters of a state enacting higher standards of care for the animals (such is the case with the California hen law) I have no problem with. And I imagine that a lot more people would be in favor of such measures and laws if they knew the conditions that these hens, cows, pigs, etc live in.

In Canada, the electrical tape has a warning that it contains ingredients that the state of California says are carcinogenic. I was never worried because I wasn't planning to eat it, but I always wondered about California. Do people in California eat electrical tape?
LOL-no offense to Californians, but I thought this was funny :)

And you never know. Some silly person in Utah might very well try to eat electrical tape. Utah isn't always known for common sense.
Lack of common sense is all around us. Some of the warning lables are pretty rediculous...but they're typically there because some one lacked common sense.

Nutty PETA people who are extremists I have a problem with.

Voters of a state enacting higher standards of care for the animals (such is the case with the California hen law) I have no problem with. And I imagine that a lot more people would be in favor of such measures and laws if they knew the conditions that these hens, cows, pigs, etc live in.
I agree.

Just think of the horror indeed if potentially harmful chemicals were not warned about.

Not restricted to Utah.

I'd support any politician that promised to outlaw all warning labels. Bring on 'survival of the fittest!'

Not restricted to Utah.

I'd support any politician that promised to outlaw all warning labels. Bring on 'survival of the fittest!'

Want to play with some DMSO mixed with chloramphenicol then? Or how about anyone with a penicillin allergy. Want to give them some cephalosporins? Let's go and shake a bottle of insulin and let a diabetic use it.

I will agree to that with regards to particularly stupid warning labels, such as "do not iron clothes while wearing". But warning labels about chemicals and drugs can be very important.

I knew this guy in Utah who drank mouse water once. What a maroon! :sidestep:

Want to play with some DMSO mixed with chloramphenicol then?.

No idea what that is, but if I were dumb enough to mess around with a bottle of chemicals without knowing what it was, I deserve what I get. Had an uncle that decided to spray his land with pesticides himself. For some reason he fiddled with the container, and then when he was carrying the container on his back spraying the land it leaked because of whatever he did. Died not too long after that. Darwin Award.

Actually I imagine that's probably how I will die, doing something stupid that gets me killed. Always did want to swim with a great white shark, now I think about it...

Back