• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Annual exams for snakes?

Bree

This is probably a silly question, but I am wondering if anybody recommends annual exams for snakes?

My dogs and birds all get annual exams, so I thought maybe Bunny should, too... but I don't know if there would be any point to it, lol. I guess they might just run a fecal test and check body condition? Thoughts?

To be honest, snakes are exposed to far fewer risks that cats or dogs as they rarely leave the controlled environment of their tank. As long as you have the basic husbandry right and haven't done anything risky like bringing a new snake into the house without quarantining, then I'm not sure it would be necessary.

A one-off checkup of a new snake might be a good precuation if you're unsure of the source (rescue etc).

Ok, thanks, makes sense! That's what I kind of figured since I've never heard/read about anyone advocating annual exams for reptiles like they do for other animals. I suppose she won't feel too left out. ;)

One problem is locating a good reptile Vet. I have a Vet in the family and he is great with dogs, cats, farm animals but reptiles. Lets just say I know nothing and he call me once. He is my wifes cousin. However, my mom had a pair of Great Plains ratsnakes that I gave her and she kept them in a 20L gallon tank and she took one to her locale vet. The snake was gravid and it only took the Vet a day and a few phone calls to figure it out. The Vet ended up calling a friend who kept and bred snakes. I do not blame the Vet. Vets get a very small amount of knowledge on retiles. The friend of the Vet took the pair and hatched out the eggs because a few months later my mom got a phone call from the Vet asking her if she want the adults back or any hatchling.

Love the Fatman

Yes, it's the same situation with birds. Unless they specialize in avian or exotics, it seems most general vets don't get sufficient training to adequately treat those types of animals. I have heard many horror stories of people taking their birds to non-avian-certified vets and having them inefficiently treated or even harmed (i.e. having their temps taken via the cloaca... not ok in birds, but primarily-dog-and-cat vets are just so used to taking temps as part of every exam). My birds see an avian-certified vet who sees only birds. I already know the vet that my snake would see if she became ill... She specializes in exotics and has seen my rat and my BF's lizard in the past. She was fantastic! :)

I'm having a hard time finding a trustworthy vet even among those who specialize in exotic medicine. I think reptile owners still constitute a niche market. Most people have a cat or a dog and these animals have been domesticated for thousands of years. There is plenty of research and experience to draw upon where they are concerned, and lots of opportunity for a vet to practice working with dogs or cats. Not so much with snakes.

I live in a big city and may actually have to travel outside of the city at this point to look for a good reptile vet.

Back