• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

another agression question - this time adult corn

luvzebra3

Any suggestions with dealing with a cranky corn snake? I have had her since she was a hatchling, and she is almost 3 now. The last few months she has been getting crabbier when I handle her - she rattles her tail and tries to get away as fast as she can. She has been handled regularly since I got her ( well at least once a week). So tonight I was going to weigh her and move her to the beautiful new cage when she freaked out and bit me several times until I could get her under control and in the cage!! At least she didn't musk me, but I was not happy about her aggressiveness.

Any suggestions about taming her down? She didn't used to be this bratty!
Thanks!

You have taken her from her home and put her in a new, unfamiliar territory.
She is scared, not bratty IMO.

Have you changed anything in the past 3 months? Lotions? Perfumes? Temperatures? Rooms? Pets? Noises?
Something has her nervous.
She is attacking you to defend herself against the unknown and possibly dangerous. With experiences showing that she is alright, she will calm down.

Thanks for the reply! Well come to think of it, I did change the location of the cage about 4 1/2 - 5 months ago. She has been in a cage with her sister up until now, I thought she may want her own house, which is why I got the new enclosure. Well now she is alone and in a quieter part of the reptile room so hopefully her attitude will improve. How often do you suggest I try to handle her? I will wait a bit until I think she is accustomed to her new house. I feed on Wed night - I hope she settles a little so I can take her out to feed her!

@Shmoges

They can. They are colubrids. Corns are just less likely to musk compared to kings or rats.

Thanks for the reply! Well come to think of it, I did change the location of the cage about 4 1/2 - 5 months ago. She has been in a cage with her sister up until now, I thought she may want her own house, which is why I got the new enclosure. Well now she is alone and in a quieter part of the reptile room so hopefully her attitude will improve. How often do you suggest I try to handle her? I will wait a bit until I think she is accustomed to her new house. I feed on Wed night - I hope she settles a little so I can take her out to feed her!

Ahha! She is adjusting to being on her own.
You were right to separate her, she probably appreciates it. It will take her a few months to settle down probably. Just be patient with her. :)

I agree with Naagas. As much as co-habbing is a risk, separating the snakes can be just as stressful as moving them to a new home - their behaviour and habits need to adjust to being without the "competition" and that can take some time.

Hopefully your lass will be enjoying the single life more over the next few weeks. Until then, patience and gentle handling are your best bet. I'm a great believer in using gloves with biters. Just gives me more confidence and seems to calm them a little as well.

Back