• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another feeding question

PatrickBateman

Do you like Huey Lewis?
I have had my snake for about a week. The day I got him, I watched him get fed a fuzzy by the store employee. That was last wednesday, and its been exactly 7 days since he last ate. I read that you are supposed to feed them every 5-6 days.

For the last three nights I tried to feed him, but he has not shown any interest in the mouse. In fact, he acts like he is afraid of him. I tried dangling the mouse in front of him in his tank, letting it roam around...I put him in a smaller cage and put the mouse in there too. No luck.

What am i doing wrong? I think it could be any number of things. Maybe he is afraid of his new home, maybe the temperature in the tank is wrong, maybe he isn't used to eating every week, maybe I handled him too much...

What is the proper way to feed a live mouse to a cornsnake? If he isnt eating the mouse when i take him and put him in a smaller tank with the mouse, should i just leave the mouse in his cage for a few hours and hope he eats it when I am not around?

Can anyone help me?

Have you tried a dethawed mouse or maybe freshly killing the one you have? He might have some relocation stress and is scared.

I agree, there should be no need to feed it a live mouse. Was the fuzzy it got it in petshop live?

What are the temperatures? If its new its advisable not to handle for about 2 weeks and probably not to offer food for the same amount. I would leave him alone for a few days without disturbing him, check the temps are right, then tried feeding a frozen & thawed mouse by leaving him in a smaller container (with ventilation!) with it, put a blanket or something over it so he isnt dusturbed and check after a couple hours.

Good luck!

Sometimes snakes need to adjust to their new home before they will eat again. If all the temps and everything are right then I would just give it time. ALso don't try to feed every night, sometimes that will make them take even longer to eat. Just try every 4-5 days. And don't stress out , I am sure he will eat since he was eating before.
Good luck, Stephenie

I have had my snake for about a week. The day I got him, I watched him get fed a fuzzy by the store employee. That was last wednesday, and its been exactly 7 days since he last ate. I read that you are supposed to feed them every 5-6 days.

For the last three nights I tried to feed him, but he has not shown any interest in the mouse. In fact, he acts like he is afraid of him. I tried dangling the mouse in front of him in his tank, letting it roam around...I put him in a smaller cage and put the mouse in there too. No luck.

What am i doing wrong? I think it could be any number of things. Maybe he is afraid of his new home, maybe the temperature in the tank is wrong, maybe he isn't used to eating every week, maybe I handled him too much...

What is the proper way to feed a live mouse to a cornsnake? If he isnt eating the mouse when i take him and put him in a smaller tank with the mouse, should i just leave the mouse in his cage for a few hours and hope he eats it when I am not around?

Can anyone help me?

We can try!
Repeated feeding attempts can stress the snake to the point where it won't eat. Leaving a live mouse with the snake can result in horrific injuries to your snake.
I'd suggest leaving the snake completely alone for 3 or 4 days, then placing it in a feeding tub with a hot thawed mouse overnight. If that doesn't work, try again in 3-4 days. If that doesn't work, there are other methods you can try then. Hope this helps

Thanks for the answers guys. I found a similar thread in the health forum and I think I am gonna do what everyone suggested. Leave him alone and try again in a few days.

The mouse he was fed when I was watching at the store was a live fuzzy. The mouse I was trying to feed him was also live. I currently have 2 mouse cages, one with a 1.4 colony, and the other one with the fuzzy feeder. Should i really have to kill the mouse, even though I know the snake is capable of killing it (like the day I bought it) ?

Should i really have to kill the mouse, even though I know the snake is capable of killing it (like the day I bought it) ?

No, just buy frozen mice and thaw them out! You could have the petstore kill it, but they probably won't pre-kill a pink or fuzzy...

Nanci

Back