• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another handling question

Tangoman

OK, so we have had our snake for a couple of months I think.
He is very young and still has a bit of that instinct to run when you go to get him, although this varies a bit. He only ever had a strike at me once - this particular day he just stood his ground and stayed in the strike position and followed me - I knew he was going to have a pop and he did and missed. I picked him up after that and he was fine.
The past couple of days he has seemed a bit calmer - we are very deliberate when we go to get him. Let him see us, put our hand near him and let him smell etc. He still has a little struggle when you first pick him up but then calms quickly.

the question I have is this; as he gets older, will he just be really chilled when you pick him up? Will he just stay in a coil (I have been told never to approach him head on, over his head). Do your snakes just happily sit there while you pick them up - do they always go into strike position at first? I find it hard to imagine Tango being so relaxed!

Snakes all have different temperaments and some will be very relaxed whilst others will be highly strung all their lives. Your snake sounds normal, not aggressive, just needs to get used to being handled and then should be fine as an adult. You could place an item of yours in his viv to get him used to your smell even when you aren't there.
I would advise backing off if he strikes or rattles his tail though, so he can calm down on his own without getting too stressed.

yea my normal is very calm, right as I pick her up soemtimes she starts moving a little faster, but I get her out, and is so calm. My okeetee on the othere hand, is still knew to me havign her, and am still handling her till tame. But once I get her up and after a little bit she isn't too bad, but too long and she starts to cruise and almost tries to lunge off my hand, then I let her down.

my snake is not always calm but he has never tried to strike me... do you feed him in his cage?? or a seprate tank like a glad ware container... you dont want the to think that and opening tank means food... that might be one reason... or maby he is about to shed... and is it wild or store you always wanna buy domestic. well i hope i could help

No I do not feed in his viv.
I think he was just in a bad mood that day! Or I had disturbed a particulalry peaceful sleep. He is really not bad at all. Just a bit freaky sometimes when being picked up. I guess it all feels weird to him.

Each snake is different, as mentioned, just keep doing what you're doing. I always "call their bluff" and hardly ever get tagged. I have had corns so long now that a bite is not even an issue anymore. And yes some of mine still try to get away frantically when I first pick them up. All in all, they are really quite docile.

Afterthought:
I can't remember where it was I read that corns rarely wrap snugly around your arm and sit there, rather they pick a direction and go for it! Mine certainly fits that description and he's as tame as they come. So if you're worried that Tango's trying to get away from you after you've had hold of him a while, it could be that he's just got comfortable and decided he wants to roam around.

Most adult snakes make a dash for it no matter how often you handle them, but quickly settle down. You will be able to tell when he's just doing what comes naturally or if he's really getting stressed out. Good luck with him :)

Sounds like a normal corn to me . My Dayoh loves being help, comes to me to be picked up when i put my hand in and doesn't let go when i try to put him back. He roams while i hold him but doesn't even try to race away when i pull him back. .All corns have diffrent attitudes, make sure you are not nervous when you hold him too because they do sense that and he will then be nervous too.

:-offtopic
Tangoman said:
Thanks Tracee

Yorkshire eh? You got floods?

I give the river until Wednesday until it breaches where I am. Am currently thanking my lucky stars I still have electric, most of North Yorks doesn't. Hopefully if it does breach it'll be like 2000 and cut off my route to work ;)

All snakes have diffrent temperments some dont like to be handled but most dont have a problem with it. i've had succes putting mine through a lot of diffrent situations of handling such as Holding them by the head...they sturggle at first but calm down quickly and soon realize that your not their to hurt them. AGAIN THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE...if you dont have experience doing things like this dont attempt it...and your snake will eventually become "tame"
-i was taught this method by Joe Collins...you might of heard of him

need help

I have my first snake. He is a normal corn and was born in July.
I left him along for the first month besides feeding him (in the container I was told to feed him in). Then me and my husband started handling him once a day but he doesn't seem to be getting any calmer. How often should I be handling him. I have had him for two months now.
Thank you
Corrie

You should try and handle him everyday, unless he gets really stressed out. First start with maybe 5 minutes a day, then gradually move up to 10 minutes, 15, 20, etc. Then eventually he'll start to calm down, but it's really depending on the temperament of the snake, and its personality.

my okeetee was born in july (04) and I"ve had her for about a month and a half, and she is just now barely starting to get more tame. Before it was really hard to hold her, now it got easier, but still likes to cruise once in a while, or right when I get her out of the viv. your corn will come around, it is still new.

Back