• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another Humidity Question

CJzinSpain

Cjz Tatoo
Hi, I am a new member, I have just bought the 2nd Corn Snake of my life, had one when I was a lot younger but it escaped and never got found even after moving all furniture and going under the floor boards could never find it. The one I bought on Monday is a baby, probabley about 6 months old.
The tank I have is an aquarium and pretty small for now, about 60x30x30 roughly as I havent measured exactly. I have a UTH and a Red heat bulb, the problem is in the cage its about 100 humidity and I dont know wot I am doing wrong. I read that the red bulb makes it dryer but then again I only installed the bulb last night so dont know if it will take more time, the temp is about 82-84 so thats good but now i am uncertain if its because I have the UTH, do I need it? This morning the glass was steamed up from humidity, I dont think this is good. Can someone give advice please?

I would insert a pic but I dont know how, I am new to these forums. please help.

do you have the water source on the warm side of the viv?? sometimes that can cause a drastic rise in humidity. also, are you sure the device you are using to test the humidity isn't broken? although, if you have steam on the glass, i'm sure the humidty is too high.

if you have a water source on the warm side, i'd say definitely move it to the cool. not only should that lower humidity, but it will also prevent (or slow) bacteria build up in the water dish.

some more experienced keepers might have other ideas as to why it's so high.

I think I may have solved the problem this afternoon but not sure haven´t had enuff time to test it.

1)The viv is about 50Lx30Hx30W cm which is pretty small (my corn, Sliva, is only about 6 months old and bout 40cm long.

2)Under this is a UTH which is nearly more or less the same size as the viv.

3)There is 2 small water bowls.

4) I dont think there was enough ventilation.

a) I have since cut out a hole in the roof and put meshing to help with more ventilation
b) Do you or anyone think that I should only have 1 bigger bowl of water?
c) Bigger Vivarium? I do want to change this asap to bigger but could this be part of the problem?
d) Should I move the UTH to only under half the viv? bearing in mind I also have a red bulb too.

Welcome to the forums!! :)

My first question is: what are you using for substrate???
Second question: What kind of top do you have on the tank??

I keep hermit crabs on moist play sand with a UTH and a top covered in plastic wrap and the humidity never goes higher than 80%. The sides are totally covered in condensation.

I'm really puzzled as to why your tank would be that high in humidity.

CJzinSpain said:
d) Should I move the UTH to only under half the viv? bearing in mind I also have a red bulb too.

Yes...The UTH should only be under 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the viv. They need a cool side where they can go if they choose to.

Pics

Pics of the viv and snake. In one of the pics you can see the humidity meter gauge.

Attachments

• 01-02-05_2115.jpg
    01-02-05_2115.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 01-02-05_2116.jpg
    01-02-05_2116.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 01-02-05_2311.jpg
    01-02-05_2311.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 01-02-05_2301.jpg
    01-02-05_2301.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 01-02-05_2306.jpg
    01-02-05_2306.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 57
more pics

sorry bout pastiin pics here but didnt know how else to do it.

Attachments

• 01-02-05_2113.jpg
    01-02-05_2113.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 01-02-05_2304.jpg
    01-02-05_2304.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 01-02-05_2315.jpg
    01-02-05_2315.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 01-02-05_2313.jpg
    01-02-05_2313.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 01-02-05_2314.jpg
    01-02-05_2314.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 56
The reptibark is okay...I would make sure that you have a temp gradient...a warm and a cool side...

And ventilation is KEY to keeping the humidity down...
I have to put more holes in my tubs tonight because they are holding too much humidity.

The red light should help lower the humidty as well.

A lot of people using glass tanks have metal framed, screen tops held down by clips or weights. If your top was solid, poor ventilation was the problem. One or more screened holes should fix it. Moving the water to the cooler side will help as well.
nice setup btw.

I hope I helped you Craig with our conversation. I think we figured out that he needs a screened top. Also to move the UTH to one side of the viv and remove the other water bowl. It was great talking to you, and keep us updated! :cheers:

Latest news on the humidity

I have sorted the humidity problem on my Viv, I made a new hole in the lid and fitted a car speaker grill for more ventilation and moved the UTH to under only half the Viv and now things seem to be good. The humidity has dropped now to 65% which I guess is more or less what is needed. What do u guys think? do you think now all is good? I will wait a bit more because I think it may drop a bit more over more time.

P.s I have posted another message regarding some small white creatures in the viv, can anyone reading this maybe help me out with regards to these creatures.

Back