• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another Newb question (experience & breeding)

spleenchild

Hello all,

I was just wondering if the breeders out there could give me some input. I'm still a Newb, but i was wondering how long should I wait before i start seriously considering getting more Corns and possilby breeding them?

I know everyone is different but how much xp did you have before you started breeding? And what kind of set up do your recommend? ( currently my baby amel is in a 29 gal aquarium on ASpen substrat with heatlamp and a side mounted heater)

Thanks for the INFO

Blessed BE

side mounted? the heater should be UNDER the tank, and the temp of it should be regulated by a thermostat. But anyway, if it is female, it needs to be at least 3 years old, 3 feet in length, and 300 grams. Male needs to be that but use 1's. I did 1 whole year to read up on breeding. You need to have a plan of where you are going to put the hatchlings, sell them, and feed them. You should also have an incubator built before hand. You have to ask yourself "am I ready for this"? It is a big undertaking. I had been into corn snakes since 04 and I still have a lot to learn.

If you're starting out, I'd say your biggest consideration at the moment should be the market for Corn Snake hatchlings where you are, or your capacity to sell over the internet and ship.

Does anyone actually want to buy them where you are? Are there many private breeders/sellers or are pet stores the main sellers? What sorts are already available? What kind of price are they selling for (remember that stores will be adding a mark-up for overheads and profit, so if you sell to a store they'll give you much less than the retail price)? The last thing you want is to be left with 15 hungry mouths to feed and no way of selling them.

Also, start saving money. With the initial investment in hatchling equipment (heating, housing etc), you'll most likely make a loss in the first year.

As a beginner, I'd definitely recommend that you keep your Corns separately, so start planning where to put all of those extra full-size tanks for your breeding animals.

Plus, do a LOT of window shopping. Most people buy their first one or two Corns just as pets. They decide later that they would like to breed different morphs and then find that their original Corns don't fit the breeding plan. Your current Corn is an Amel, which is one of the most common morphs. It will be easy to breed more, but they won't make you much money and you'll be in competition with many other breeders. Make sure you know exactly what morphs you like the look of and buy the Corns that will produce those. Whatever you do, resist the urge to impulse buy (I put my hand up and plead guilty to this one myself!).

I would listen to Bitsy... I actually just got back into corns. Corn snakes were my first snakes when i was younger, then i got into ball pythons. You will loose a large amount of money maybe for the first few years, depending on your situaiton. Also don't breed strictly on the money aspect, do it because you want too. If you get all about the money you wont enjoy it, and all it will be is about money. I do relize breeding higher end morphs will make you money, but just don't be all about it..

Everyone has given you good advice, I am guilty as well of impulse buying. I started with a red tail boa, then moved into corns. Seriously do research on breeders in your area, also ask your self if you are wanting to be a hobby breeder or a serious breeder. I am a serious hobby breeder right now. I have well over 30 corn snakes, I have a clutch of eggs hatching now, and some more clutches to be layed soon. I work a full time job as well, and with 30+ snakes I stay busy, feeding is a good hour or so and when you clean another good 1 1/2 hours, and then when you weigh them, that is more time, so it is easy to spend 8 hours a week with your snakes when bein a hobby breeder. Just stuff to keep in mind. Also remember you will NEVER stop learning.

if you have money to pay for snake and breeding supplies,
research many diff. websites on breeding,
and have hard work and dedication
you can do it.

that tank is big for a baby.

Back