• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another newb.

edd.roadrunner

I am hoping to convince my parents to let me buy myself a corn snake plus a vivarium and everthing else. Ive read up on everything i could. Im hoping to buy a Carolina corn snake from http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/corn-snake.html
I was wondering has anyone ever bought from this supplier? also Im not sure wheather to buy there corn snake starter kit or to get one of the many off of ebay? the ones they have are no where near big enough for and adult but some of the private ebay ones are a good 30 - 40 gallons. thanks for reading :dancer:

Hi :wavey: welcome to the forum!

Good luck getting a new corn.

As far as which starter kit to get, I usually recommend that you make a list of everything you need. Then see which starter kit has the most of those things. Personally, I prefer to buy all the things I need separately. That way I make sure I get all I need and that everything is good quality.

Good luck again!

that makes sense but im unsure what a sutable size heat mat for what size vivarium and what lights and if i actually need them. sorry but i also have budget worries, I have around £150 for Viv, heat mat, hides, water bowl and flooring. any help?

Well here is a breakdown of what you will need:

- 20 gallon long tank
- Under Tank Heater (the wrapping should tell you what size that heat mat fits)
- Thermometer with a probe (you can sometimes get a nice cheap one of these at wal-mart)
- Aspen (regular aspen on repti-bark are the best choices)
- 2 hides (one for the cool side and one for the warm side)
- Thermostat/Rheostat (to control the heat mat or else the heat mat will become way to hot and could burn your snake)
- water bowl
- decorations (optional and only if your taste is into that)
- Either reptile wipes, or reptile cleaner spray (for when you clean out the viv. so that your tank stays clean and germ free)

1. The under tank heater (U.T.H.) needs to cover about 1/3 of the floor space. You will also need a rheostat or thermostat to regulate the temps of the mat. Unregualted, the temps can get over 100*F and would be very dangerous for your snake.

2. A light is not needed if you use a U.T.H.

3. You need a digital thermometre with a probe. I paid $4 for one. The probe should go on the glass directly over your U.T.H.

4. Your hides and your water bowl do not need to be anything special. I use empty toilet paper rolls for my hides and my snakes love them. Make sure you have a hides on both the warm and cool sides. Other people use empty cardboard boxes or deli cups. For a water bowl, I have used inexpensive bowls sold for cats. It just needs to be big enough for your snake to crawl in it and be able to curl up. It should only be about an inch deep.

5. I use aspen for my substrate. But you can also use paper towels or newspaper.

6. You need to make sure your viv has a locking lid.

im in southend on sea essex , so near you and i had a starter kit. I bought a plastic starter viv which come with heat mat, hides ,wood chip ,water bowl ,etc you just need a thermometer and therm etc baby corns are very small and dont apparently like huge spaces ,so i bought a 12 week old snake and put him in this viv and will get a big one for him between 9 and 12 months providing he hasnt grown massively in the mean time. my snake seems o.k and eats every feed so far (touch wood) good luck

Hi edd. It's right that baby corns don't need that much space (it scares them) The conceto boxes are usually o.k. for the first six months and if you put in a couple of sheets of kitchen roll your little guy will hide between the sheets (like its got one massive hide) plus kitchen roll is easy to damp down a bit and aid in the shedding. we've always used this method with the little'uns and it works just fine. And its easy to keep clean.
MIKE

Theres a corn snake starter kit on eBay at the moment (I wont link to it, dont know what the rules are on here about ebay links!) It seems ok for a corn snakes first new home, a bit pricey though for something you will eventually have to upgrade... but does seem excellent for someone whos just getting their first snake - comes with:
Habistat Mat Thermostat
Habistat Heat Pad 6" x 11" 7w
Exo Terra Faunarium Flat Large
Exo Terra Hide Cave (Small)
Exo Terra Water Dish (Medium)
Exo Terra Plastic Plant (Small)
Digital Thermometer
Cork Bark Hide Small
The Corn Snake Manual

Back