• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another Okeetee pic

John Albrecht

I'm still trying to get a decent pic of some Okeetee cornsnakes. I swear to you that this shot represents the best out of about 100 attempts today alone. I just don't seem to be able to get the knack down for using a digi camera. I had way better results with my old Canon AE1 with a micro lens.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. But how does the snake look? The mom is on the left.

Attachments

• Okeetee20060108.JPG
    Okeetee20060108.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 95
You got me beat, I still like using the Canon FTb.
But anyway, sorry can't see mom on the left but the shot is great!
Nice lookin' one.

It seems your autofocus has problemd to find the snakes head. As you can see, the back part and mainly the ground is in focus.
Some "workarounds":

If the camera misses the head:

a) Put the head in the center of the cam, try to get it in focus, keep the button pressed and arrange the photo. That way, the focus from the head shouldn't get lost.

If you are too near for the autofocus:

b) Try getting farer away and keep the "zoom".
c) Stay near, but do not zoom.

Both of these ways are to work around the minimal distance between the object and the cam, which is different when you "zoomed-in" or not.

If you ask me, try to get a little bit farer away, use a flashlight and crop the picture afterwards on your computer to get the picture done. Thats not good if you want to have larger prints of the pictures, but good enough to show them off in the internet. If you are interested in larger prints, go with a) and c) and find out at which is the minimal distance to the snakes head your camera can handle, focus it and the slightly move the camera vertically and horizontally to arrange the pic.

I hope this is understandable, if not, a native speaking photographer may correct me - please!

Greetings
Michael

thankyou for the feedback. i'll try your ideas out. I just can't imagine how the breeders like Rich can seem to consistently get such good pictures. They must spend a ton of time on it. Not to mention the fact that snakes always want to move when you have them out in the open!

Keep one thing in mind, (normally) the better the camera, the better it'll find the correct focus for you on the correct object (head) and this in much less time than cheap cameras will do. That makes things a lot easier. Another thing is the high number of animals that you can try with. If you have one special animal, you need to find a good day to get the right photos - if you have 5-10 nearly equal ones, your chances get better that one of them has a good day for taking a photo.
As soon as you learn to know the boundarys of your camera, and how to work within the given range, you'll get much better pictures in less attempts.

Good luck. :santa:

Back