• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another question... sorry.

krazybob

Krazy About Snakes
I am wondering if it is ok to give Molly 2 fuzzies after shedding. "Cornsnakes: The Comprenensive Owner's Guide", by Kathy & Bill Love says that "Their appetites wanetoo, but reappear with a vengeance as soon as the old skins are discarded." Does that mean eating twice as much? More often right after the shed?

I'm thinking about putting 2 fuzzies on her plate and see what she wants to do. Can I overfeed her that way?

She was eating 1 fuzzy every 5 days. They don't leave as much of a lump in her as they used to. What's the next size "up"?

I believe a hopper would be next. you could try 2 fuzzies if she's taking 1 no problem then if she takes 2 ok, then you could move her up a notch. all depends how big she is. How long has she been on fuzzies? Just because she shed doesn't mean she should be bumped up.

yes a hopper would be next up...but i would try her on two fuzzies first, if she's ready. unless the hoppers you get are not much bigger than two fuzzies. the rule of thumb is the mouse shouldnt be bigger than 1 1/2 times as wide as the snake. if the mouse is too big, then the snake will regurge it.
and you dont have to bump up a size everytime your snake sheds. most corns under a year old will shed around once a month. i have a couple corns that were born in aug/sept 2005 and are just starting on fuzzies and they've shed at least 6 times.
i think what kathy love means in her book, is that snakes that refuse to eat before a shed will now eat. a couple of my snakes wont eat when they go into "blue" (getting ready to shed). but a day after they shed, they're ready to eat again.

I put 2 fuzzies in on her "plate" (a plastic lid) and left the room. 20 minutes or so later they were both gone with two small bulges showing. As far as I can tell she was born in March 2005 and she is now about 25 inches long. Fuzzies might be 1.5 times her width, but I doubt it. I will give her the rest of her fuzzies, enough for about 2 more months, then move her to hoppers, I guess.

And I have a late 04' that's only 90 grams and about 24" long, so they're all different. She's never missed a meal and is fed once a week, but she still is a third of the size of my other 04's. Sounds like yours is ready for a hopper though.

Back