• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another sdumb question

Alfheim

Wannabe Norwegians
Is there any sort of guide/website to telling what morph a hatchling/young snake is?
I mean something like: the (fill in the blank) morph is mostly (fill in the blank) with (fill in the blank) saddles, etc. When it matures it will be (fill in the blank).
For example, I have no idea if Amber will grow up to be mostly yellow, or how "nice" or "not nice" of an amber she is. She's a great snake, so I really don't care, but it would be "nice" to know. She's tan-ish, and yellow-ish, with brown-ish checkers on her belly.
How do I know what to look for if I want an amber "Rob"? My husband and I have decided that we really like the coloring on the ambers form the pictures of the adults we've seen.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• amberIII.jpg
    amberIII.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 46
  • Amber.jpg
    Amber.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 46
Oh, the first picture shows her color "truer", esp on her head, what little you can see of it.

Alfheim said:
Is there any sort of guide/website to telling what morph a hatchling/young snake is?
I mean something like: the (fill in the blank) morph is mostly (fill in the blank) with (fill in the blank) saddles, etc. When it matures it will be (fill in the blank).
As far as I know, there isn't, and I can understand why. The variability within the morphs is so great that assembling a collection of photos that would fit the purpose you outline would be a daunting task. Serpenco.com does a decent job of this for many morphs. Of course, there are morphs/combos out there that don't even have adult examples yet. Heck, many haven't even been created yet.

I usually have some idea of what I want the adult snake to look like. Then I look around at the breeder sites, and see what their stock looks like. Sometimes you can request photos of your prospective hatchlings parents, and this can give you some indication. But if your amber comes from a caramel het hypo x hypo het caramel pairing, this may not be all that helpful.

I know that if I wanted a guarantee of a specific look in an adult snake, I'd have to buy an adult snake with that look. :shrugs:

Steph, Do you mean your snake in particular? That's how I read it and I wish there was because my creamsicle doesn't seem to look like other ones I've seen pictures of, so is he unusual or ??? I've searched sights lookig for similar, he's an 05'.

Attachments

• Picture 178.jpg
    Picture 178.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 37
Sorry hit send too soon, so I know he is "blue", and he is usually bright yellow with peach saddles here is a belly shot.
Dean if you are still about in the great snake forum of space any opinions on how newbies can be sure what they bought is waht they got. thanks susan

Attachments

• Picture 179.jpg
    Picture 179.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 38
I think Roy Munson's advice is some of the best to be offered. Head to a few members' sites and look at the pictures. :santa:

It was hard for me to wrap my mind around the variability within a morph at first. But it's finally sinking in. One amber makes me absolutely drool; another just leaves me 'ho-hum.'

I'm looking forward to breeding a line (or two or three) in a few years to get exactly the traits I want in the morphs I like most. That's a big part of my interest in breeding corns.

susang said:
Dean if you are still about in the great snake forum of space any opinions on how newbies can be sure what they bought is waht they got. thanks susan
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way for newbs to confirm that what they bought is what they got. Sometimes there's no way for even the most experienced keeper/breeder to know this conclusively without breeding trials. Sometimes looking at all the photos in the world won't help, and breeding trials are your only option.

For example. I bought a pair of coral snows. They're supposed to be homozygous for amelanism, anery, and hypo. They're obviously snow (homo for amel and anery), but technically, amel masks hypo, so visuals aren't that helpful. I've seen some coral snows that looked just like mine, but I've seen regular snows that looked like them too. So I'm proving the hypo in these two this season by pairing them up with ghosts (homo for anery and hypo). If the coral snow in each pair is truly hypo, my clutches should all be ghosts, het for amel. If I get all anerys, I'll know the coral isn't really a coral, but just a snow. If I get a mix of ghosts and anerys, I'll know that the coral isn't really a coral, but a snow het for hypo. Hope this helps. :)

susang said:
my creamsicle doesn't seem to look like other ones I've seen pictures of, so is he unusual or ??? I've searched sights lookig for similar, he's an 05'.
Creamsicles are probably the hardest because they are so variable. Any amel that has emoryi bloodlines should be called creamsicle, however, to me, a true creamsicle should look like it has emoryi bloodlines. Many do not because the offspring are sometimes never crossed back to emoryi and tend to look just like a regular amel corn. Your snake has a certain amount of the emoryi look I think. Here's a pic of mine for comparison :wavey:

Last edited:
Back