• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Any DIY hide ideas?

cornsnakegirl

I'm running out of ideas of things to make to keep my gal entertained, as she's an active and curious little thing. She's got a few tissue boxes with toilet paper rolls on top and even a pyramid of TP rolls, but they've grown old. I need some fresh ideas! I don't want to go the styrofoam route as tha'ts def. something i wont be good at. Anything I can make out of cardboard or popsicle sticks and glue/tape together. Ideas? :D

One thing my corns *love* is when I make them fake ferns. I go get silk fern fronds from a local craft store, and stick 'em into a piece of styrofoam at different angles so they end up looking like a real fern. I can almost always find them in the fronds.

I have used cheap large plastic dog food bowls, cut a "door" out and then you have a hide/ water bowl ,

Attachments

• bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 152
I've made some out of salt dough. By adding food coloring to the dough, it made them more attractive, and after baking, I added a food safe finish to make it water resistant. I molded some around small bowls to make regular little hides, and I molded one around a TP roll (covered in saran wrap) and textured it so it looked like a little log.

One thing my corns *love* is when I make them fake ferns. I go get silk fern fronds from a local craft store, and stick 'em into a piece of styrofoam at different angles so they end up looking like a real fern. I can almost always find them in the fronds.

This is a great idea!! I think styrofoam looks pretty awesome and is great to work with.

Here's a link to a video I found on YouTube for making styrofoam hides:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KWngUlCXaP8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said in the post, I wanna stay away from any styrofoam project that needs paint or grout or something like that, I'm looking for almost free stuff to make :)

Is sewing an option? I have just completed a "snake sack" for my new girl, I can`t get a pic tonight to show you what I mean, will get one tomorrow and try to explain for now.

I took a scrap bit of fabric about 8 inches x 10 inches (may have been a bit bigger, I didn't measure) and made something like this drawstring pouch just without the actual drawstring. I made the opening seam extra thick (Folded the fabric over twice, used worsted weight yarn to hand stitch the seam) to give it extra stiffness so it stays open just enough for her head to poke into. Once the head is in the rest follows pretty quick! Stitch on a couple loops at each end to hang it off the side of the Viv (I used hooked suction cups) and you are good to go. My snake loves it.

Or, for a no sew option, reptile hammock from an old t-shirt is also an option, again held on with hooked suction cups. Not a hide so much but maybe make a few of them and attach them in a ladder like fashion since your snake is a climber?

You absolutely want to stay away from tape. If your creation gets damaged and the sticky side is turned out, it may stick to the snake and may be almost impossible to remove without harming the snake.

Stick with plastic or silk plants that are cheap online or at a craft store, they love the ground cover over the substrate.

I use the little boxes my kurieg cups come in.

Also I bought a few small animal hides for my snakes while they are growing. They are usually made of plastic and really easy to clean. Not to mention cheap. I just got one for my baby corn and it was just a few dollars.

Pics of the "snake sac"

Since my description was not very helpful, here are a couple pics of the "snake sac" I was talking about.

fd37c672b92f5ee4f5689cb4fe22c10c.png

And of course, inside:

cb7377a5c48a3355f6bac29db3f64d15.png

I have used cheap large plastic dog food bowls, cut a "door" out and then you have a hide/ water bowl ,

Hi Lenny, you wouldn't by chance have a more detailed instruction on how you went about this would you?

I'm looking for ideas on what I can do to upgrade some of Calypso's tank...

Hi Lenny, you wouldn't by chance have a more detailed instruction on how you went about this would you?

I'm looking for ideas on what I can do to upgrade some of Calypso's tank...

The best way to cut plastic for snakes is with a soldering gun, it will melt the plastic and not leave sharp edges like cutting it would.

Just take the bowl and on the outside edge cut an upside-down U for the entrance.

Here are some pics. plastic bowl hides

Back