• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Any fellow Canadians out there?

MissC89

Hi! I am Melissa. I am brand new to owning reptiles as pets. In fact, I'm so new at it I don't even have one yet!

I like to do some research before I get a pet, as they are a life time commitment (life of the pet) so I want to be absolutely sure that I can give my future reptile the best life possible, but also to make sure that its something that I really want.

Any tips for a newbie?

Im on the other side of the country :) It's nice to another fellow Canadian here!
We got our first cornsnake (Reverse Okeetee) in January, it escaped so we got another a few weeks later (Ultra Anery). Found our first corn two months later, so now we have two cornsnakes!

Tips?
- Invest in a proper and secure snake viv. (Dont buy an aquarium and screen lid)
- Don't let Petsmart give you any advise.....get it here :)
- Don't be afraid to ask silly questions, everyone here is very helpful!
- Cornsnakes are not active pets. They are very easy to care for, low maintenance, and great for your first reptile; but they do spend most of their time hiding, especially if you get a young one.

Good luck and if you do decide to get a cornsnake, you have access to some of the worlds top breeders right here! TONS of options for you to choose :)

Im actually getting my first corn snake very soon!! The boyfriend and I are just trying to finish up some house renos and then im getting my very first reptile! What size enclosure would you suggest for a baby corn snake? How fast do they grow? When would I have to rehouse it?

I have my 13gram cornsnake in a 10gal, which is recommended for young snakes but my other corn, around 60gram is in a 90gal viv which will be her forever home.

I plan to upgrade the 10gal to a 40 or 50gal exo terra, which will also be a perfectly sized forever home. They are escape proof with locking doors, and front opening which makes cleaning so much easier than reaching in above.

I'd suggest getting a 40 or 50gal, just provide plenty of hides so your small snake feels more secure. As she grows, you will have to adjust the sizes of the hides, but you won't have to upgrade the viv :)

Hi There,
Welcome!
I am also Canadian from BC. We have three corns--the first my daughter adopted from the school when they could no longer keep him--don't know his exact age but likely 8-9 yrs--he is a big amel guy. The second I adopted from a reptile rescue--super easy going snake, anery,about 5 yrs old anery, don't know the sex for sure. The third is a female almost 3yrs old, anery motley stripe from a BC breeder. Thus, there are various sources of snakes out there. If you want a baby, a local breeder is ideal.

Hi there welcome from another Ontarioan, although I'm from Northwestern Ontario. I'm also a newby, but have acquired 4 corns in the past year. I have learned a lot from this site & am still doing things wrong, but with all the info I am finding here, I hope I will soon resolve my errors. Welcome

G'day eh! (Another Ontarian here) Welcome!

Where abouts are you located? I'm in the Ottawa area. There's also another member here (that I know of) who is from the Ottawa area as well.

G'day eh! (Another Ontarian here) Welcome!

Where abouts are you located? I'm in the Ottawa area. There's also another member here (that I know of) who is from the Ottawa area as well.

I am also from the Ottawa area!! Know any good breeders? I seem to be having a hard time finding some..

Ok stupid question alert! (you HAVE been warned)

My boyfriend and I are doing renovations on our house. He said once the reno's are done, I can get a corn snake (WOO!)

The only problem is that we're trying to sell the house, so I would have to take the snake with me when prospective buyers come around and I would have to hide all of his/hers things.

My question is, should I wait until we move? I know we probably should, but I would like to get peoples opinions. The snake would basically be in a fairly large carrier until we move (not ideal I know, but if it's small I though [in a very inexperienced manner] that for a couple of weeks it would be O.K.). I swear I'm not a bad person I'm just really inexperienced and would MUCH rather get people's opinions on this before I go out and get myself a snake and do something wrong.

Thank you!

If it's a small corn, house it in a plastic click-locking tub (from walmart). Like a 20 quart, I dont know the dimensions but something long and about 6" high would work great.
It's inexpensive AND your snake will be very happy and content in such a cozy temporary home :)

Just remember, hatching season is June/July I believe...so if you wait, you will have a huge selection to choose from :)

Perfect! That is a brilliant idea. Thank you so much. I really don't want to buy from a pet store but I'm getting antsy with all this waiting lol. I fell asleep thinking about corn snakes last night!

I'm also getting a blue tongue skink from this amazing and very reputable breeder and I'm getting a corn snake and when I have enough money to start a racking system I think my snake collection will boom (adding in some BP's is at the top of my wish list)

I currently use Aspen, but honestly I'm not sure if I like it. I plan on switching to eco-earth nd trying that soon. I really want to try bio-active substrate, I've heard great things but am worried about doing it wrong.

Just don't use sand, cedar, or pine.

Back