• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Any GeoCachers Here?

CornCrazy

What's one more???
I have been introduced to a wonderful new hobby. It's called Geocaching. Basically, you use a handheld GPS navigator to find hidden treasures. I had never heard of this before. I did a search and found over 4000 hidden caches in the range of my zip code!

When you find a cache, you can take something out of it, but you must put something in to replace it. Typically they have little items in them (key chains, small stuffed animals, special coins, etc). There are also some special items...travel bugs, geocoins, etc. The travel bugs have special "dog tags" attached to them. These tags have serial numbers on them that can be registered when they are found. This way the items can be tracked from place to place. I believe the geocoins also have the same thing.

It's a really fun thing to do...and it gets you out to see places you may have never seen before. If anyone is interested, you can check it out here: Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

I went for the first time yesterday, and I found 4 caches! It's like finding a burried treasure!

Yeah I go occasionally. With the price of gas up here I try to incorporate it into other activities though, like if I go herping somewhere new I'll look for caches in the area if I have time.

I go geo caching once in a while. Used to do it a lot more before becoming the old father. Now that my oldest is almost seven I am letting her accompany me on some of the "lighter" caches. It is a lot of fun and always interesting.

I have been seeing a lot of posts about it on some of my other forums lately. If I can save up some money for a GPS I may have to check it out. It sounds like something I would really enjoy doing.

I found my first cache this evning with no GPS, it was only because of very good direction though. There are some reasonably priced GPS on ebay that look nice.

I've heard of that. My friends and I almost went once, but something keptn us from going... I dont remember what it was... haha. It sounds like fun, though!

I thought I would resurrect this thread and see if any more people Geocach now that the iPhone app makes it more obtainable to the masses...
http://www.geocaching.com/iphone/tutorial/default.aspx

I've recently down loaded the app and been having great fun looking for treasure..
Luckily my first treasure was a geo coin, on it's travels... It started out in Maine and has been to Finland before coming here....
http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=MMBVY1
That find got me hooked....
Happy Geohunting to any of you that are trying this...

Last edited:
Is that also with the virtual objects that are visual on certain GPS locations if you point your device towards it (it's called augmented reality I think), and you need an app with so called 'layers'.

I haven't done it before but I know we are suppose to have around 400 in my area alone. Something I have thought about doing. I already have a GPS so I might try it this summer on a nice sunny summers day.

yes yes YES!! my boyfriend heard of it and immediately went out and bought a GPS (dork!). but it is so fun, and EXTREMELY cool. it blew my mind that there were thousands and thousands of hidden treasures all over town and beyond. it's like we were let in on a little secret the whole world had been keeping from us!

it's literally happening all over the world. if you go travelling bring your GPS, because you're sure to find some geocaches.

i think you may be able to use your iPhone to find some of the caches. i haven't tried it since Dave has a real GPS, but i know there's an app for it.

I use an iphone... The app is brilliant and you can link it to your pc and the main site for an added dimension....
I started by chance, yesterday... (I found the app).. Not really up to speed with etiquette and the exact runnings of the game yet...
Actually found two now... Located another 3..
Two will have to be night stelth operations to get the cache without muggles spotting me... The third I'm going to do tomorrow morning....
This is so addictive..... PMSL
I feel like Indiana Jones..... LOL

Back