• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Any thoughts on giving your snake a "bath"

Prattj

Is it okay to give your snake a bath in warm water? Any benifits to this? Or will it just stress them out?

Just curious

Snakes don't generally 'need' baths, but it can be a form of mild exercise for them.

Some snakes hate it and others don't seem to mind. Don't use warm water though. When I occasionally let my snakes swim, I fill a clean bathtub with a small amount of room temperature water. And definitely don't leave your snake unsupervised. Keep in mind that swimming often makes them poop too!

I heard people do that with bearded dragons too. There not just pooping as a defense mechanism? I dont take my snake out as much as i used too, and i was thinking it might be good for him. But i would probably have to work him up to that. My snake pooped on me about a month ago lol it really sucked... but i think it was because my dog was on the bed

It's usually advised to keep the water level really low. You don't want the snake swimming and more like wading if that makes sense.

I had one who slithered through his poo and I washed him off, that is a different procedure altogether.

I think it would be more fun for me to watch than it would be enjoyable for him. But yeah wading makes sense.

Im feeding him his second fuzzy in five minutes so ill let you guys know how it goes. Im excited! Hopefully he will go for it. Hes been picky. Its weird.. i usually never never use a nutritional supplement. I used to until i went on this site and read it can actually be bad for them and be toxic. I dont know if any of you guys read my last post about me feeding him his first fuzzy, but i didnt know what to expect and i thought i almost killed him because it took him so long to get it down. Anyways, he was not interested one but until i was desperate and i sprayed his food with the nutritional supplement and he instantly gobbled it up.

I let all of my snakes swim a bit a couple of times a month .... they seem to be more inclined to enjoy it when they're closer to shedding. I'll usually put them in the bathtub and toss an old hand towel (only for snakey use) in there so they don't feel like they're going to drown, even though the water level is only about 1 inch. My yearling female Tatu likes to lay with her whole body submerged and just her head laying on the towel, while Sphinx always plays "king of the hill" and will lay on top of the towel. And yes, 99 percent of the time there will be a large poo in there before they're done : /

-- Kaifyre

The water temp has to be perfect. Plus it can be stressful. Unless you have a chubby or eggbound female, there really is no reason to do it.

Edited to add...what if your snake gets stressed, thrashes and injures himself? Or (heaven forbid) you forget and leave him in there and he drowns? Or the water is too cold and he gets a resp infection? Or the water is too hot and he gets burned?
I know I sound like a paranoid nut, but bad things can happen so if it is something that is more of a risk than a benefit to my critters, I tend not to do it.

I know I sound like a paranoid nut, but bad things can happen so if it is something that is more of a risk than a benefit to my critters, I tend not to do it.

So no more snake skydiving adventures? You mean I shouldn't take my corn the roller coaster with me? :awcrap: There goes my weekend.

Yeah i wouldnt want to risk it. I will just look up youtube videos :p
Speaking of water temp though. What about the temp of their drinking water? it should just be room temp right?

Drinking water should be cool, but not cold. I just gave one of mine some fresh water and forgot how cold the tap gets in cold weather, she took a drink and pulled back and gaped her mouth wide. Similar to my reaction to a cup of way too hot tea. So yeah, I'd say just a bit below room temp.

I exercise my snakes in the tub i run water and let it settle in at 80 Deg then send them on in i keep the temp monitored with a digital thermometer suction cupped to the side of the tub 15 min swim once a week.

Some reptiles don't recognise standing water as an actual drinking source - my beardie never did. He often needed submersing in it as they often take in water through their vents as well as orally so he was bathed every few days.
My snakes all know where their water bowls are and i've seen them drink from them so i know they're recognising standing water. I bathe them when they're shedding to keep their skin moist but apart from that i don't bother. My big man loves the water and seems quite content - my little man hates it.
tumblr_mg7qjjkaPU1qdzuh1o2_250.jpg

Back