• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Any way to tell age?

bryansnake

I'm just wondering how old my snake is. I've had her for a year in April. I got her from a pet store, so I have no details from a breeder or anything. she was about 14inches long when I got her, she's about 28/28.5 now. I once read here that they go by 3 feet, 3 years; any truth? Thanks for any info.

Snakes, and most reptiles in general, are difficult to determine age. They grow at different rates from each other and it depends on how much they eat, genetics and a host of other variables. However, when you've gotten one young, as you did, it's easier to take an educated guess. The 3' 3 years thing is more in regards to when it's appropriate to breed a female, if she's at least 3' 3 years and 300 grams, she is okay to breed, not necessarily that a 3 year old will be that size.

Most corns hatch around April to July and later clutches usually hatch around Sept or Oct. Based on that, I've determined that my pet store snake is either a late hatch '07 or an early hatch '08, as I got it in Sept '08 and it was about 15" and looked at least several months old. But anything closer than that is pretty much impossible with snakes if you don't have an actual date.

I have found the best way to tell the age of something is to know when it was born, hope that helps.

Cutting the head off and counting the rings will tell you accurately...

Dammit, I visited this thread JUST to post that comment.

Now what am I going to do...

Eh guess i'm stuck with a serious answer. Depends on when in the year you bought them really, at about 15inches I'd say you're looking at anywhere between 2-4 months old at that point. You can get closer to how many months based on when clutches normally hatch (which is up in one of the above posts somewhere)

Then just add on the year you've owned them.

Back