• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

anyone keep a cricket farm???

grdn1014

no, i dont feed crickets to my snakes. :bang:

but i just got a chameleon for my girlfriend and 2 thousand crickets. right now im keeping them in a plastic tub with mesh covering a hole in the lid. problem is they can climb the walls and basically get out all the time, help? :shrugs:

thanks in advance :santa:

I don't know the answer to your question, but my daughter was complaining last night that her veiled chameleon will eat 48 crickets every two days, and probably more if she'd let her. She has several geckos, and we figured her crickets costs and my mice costs were roughly $23/month each...

Good luck- they're smelly things. I only have one cricket eater, Mr. Toad, and I just buy as needed.

Nanci

I get crickets for our leopard gecko and treefrogs, and haven't found a way to stop the escapees except keeping a shoe handy to squish them with.
When I can get the right sizes, I get locusts instead, they jump but don't climb as much and they don't smell as bad

I take some clear packing (2"-3" wide) tape and run a strip along the top part of the tub (usually about 4" down from the top). They can climb the sides of the tub but the tape is very slick and they can't climb it. This has worked for me for years.

I have heard of people putting a 1/2 inch wide bead of vaseline about 3 or 4 inches from the top of thier containers with crickets.. Sounds messy to me, so what about using double sided tape instead????

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Seems like half the circkets would get stuck on the double sided tape and die! F/t crickets perhaps? ;)

Two Words:

Blaptica dubia, or the orange spotted roach. Non climbers, non flyers, and they do not stink, I just got a colony going and hope to completely replace crickets.

mike17l said:
Two Words:

Blaptica dubia, or the orange spotted roach. Non climbers, non flyers, and they do not stink, I just got a colony going and hope to completely replace crickets.
Took the words right outta my mouth.
They also don't stink and are more nutritious than crickets, and very easy to breed. Breeding them involves one step... get a bunch of them. Breeding crickets can be a big pain.

Back