• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anyone Kept A Garter Snake?

Charger9

I was wondering if anyone has ever kept a Garter, I have seen some real pretty blues and reds on the internet and was curious as how they compare to a corn as far as handling, care, and feeding is concerned. Thanks

From what I understand they can be a lot more flighty with biting and musking common. They also eat fish, unlike corns. Corns are a lot easier.

The ones I caught as a kid weren't bitey. Except for one or two. But they did musk nearly every time when first caught. They were butler's and eastern garters. They are different to hold than a corn. They won't hold onto you at all and you are constantly doing the hand-over-hand thing.

I don't believe they need as much heat, and many garters like to hang around near water. They don't really climb. They're diurnal too, if I'm not mistaken.

I have to think that they'd be pretty hardy in captivity considering how they handled the torment I put them through as a kid.

You can get them to start taking mice and it is suggested to do so. Unless you can offer them a varied diet, the standard feeder fish only lacks in certain nutrients that they need. Just a suggestion.
Also, I will agree with Meg on the temperament. Every Garter that I ever had was quite moody. I've heard that they can be nice, but have yet to see it.

My 1st snake ever was an eastern garter snake at the age of 13. He was my science project. Drew up a poster board of the digestive system, fed him a live goldfish on the teachers desk and got an A+.

His behavior was great; never had any problems with him, but that may have been because he did so well in school:sidestep:

We started with garters and I still enjoy them very much. I think they are as hardy as corns and all my garters have switched to mice without too much effort. Their husbandry needs are very similar - they tolerate slightly lower or higher temps. In terms of temperament they run the gamut - calm, can do anything with, to one that attacks the glass if I am nearby! They do musk but if handled regularly this will usually stop. Like Slippery Ernie said they are diurnal and tend to be out and about much more than corns so if you want to see your snakes these are for you!

Here are a couple of web sites to check out:

http://www.gartersnake.info/

http://www.gartersnake.co.uk/

http://www.gartersnakemorphs.com/

There is also a fairly active garter snake group on Yahoo groups.

Jo
http://www.gartersnake.co.uk/

Thanks for the info and the links I really like th eway some of the Garters like the Blue Striped and Flame look it's a shame they are considerd "junk" snakes.

I have a checkered garter, Zoomer. I've done a lot of research on their care, and with my experience, this is what I've found.
Environment:
The same set up as a corn except - they need a larger water area. Garters are actually semi-water snakes, and need a large water area for swimming, and hanging out. The really big snake bowls, or a dog dish, or even (for an adult) a "shoebox" in their viv, (or some such set up) would be good. Of course it doesn't have to be TOO big. I like to use a third of their tank, for example. The heat is about the same as a corns, to a little less than a corns. Aspen is good to use. They also like a little tree or branch to climb and hang out in.
Food:
Some food, which is even suggested by some idiots, is toxic to use. Never use red wiggler worms, or feeder goldfish. The worms will kill them, and the goldfish create a thiaminase (sp?) problem. They are not insectivores, so no crickets. You can feed them nightcrawlers cut to size (rinsed), guppies (they chase them in the water), a cut strip of raw ocean perch (rinsed!), and some garters (especially checkereds) will eat pinkies. Some won't, but you can try scenting with tuna juice to try and get them used to it. Zoomer eats almost exclusively pinkies now, which is a good food source. Do not use anything from the garden/yard where there are toxins, etc. Zoomer won't eat in a feeding tub, I think it is because of his nervous nature. His water side has no substrate (papertowels under the bowl and covering the area), so I use tongs and feed him on that side.
Handling:
Garters are flighty, fast, and don't really like to be held. They are not bitey by nature. They are diurnal, so they are fun to watch during the day. Their scales are different than corns, and even kings. The scales are much thicker, and probably feel like a rattlesnake, though I wouldn't know. :grin01:

If you need anymore advice, just ask.

Back