• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anyone use human heat pads

Paths54

I'm thinking of getting one of those human heat pads at Walmart to place under a plastic container for use with my young corn. Any thoughts? :shrugs:

Personally, I think that's not a great idea. Those things aren't designed to be on 24x7. I'd be concerned that it would overheat. I'll defer to someone who's actually tried it for a better answer.

Thats kind of like saying, I've been using one since 10:00 this morning and never had a problem.:rofl:
:laugh: Pretty much! :cheers:

Actually though, I've used them on and off for decades. There's risk, but I have never had a problem. The risk is further minimized if you make sure that you never have any real weight on them. I would never use them with glass vivariums, but I've had no problems using them with lightweight plastic tubs. Still, I can't recommend the practice...

I have to agree with Dean. I have done it but don't recommend it. Most of the human heating pads say you shouldn't go to sleep with them on. They really are not designed for long term constant use.

I have used them since the 1970s, and I think I still have a couple from that time period, lol! But back then, there was no such thing as heat tape or UTH. We had to come up with our own ways of making do.

I think the new human pads have a timer that shuts them off after a while. I am using a couple of really old ones right now for my baby Amazons set up in the bathroom and another one for my baby leopard rats that I am isolating in another room. So although I still use them now and then when I have to set up a snake or two in an odd place (quarantine or some other area I don't usually keep snakes in), I think you would be better off buying products made for your intended use. I think there could be a remote possibility of a fire hazard if they are used improperly, so check with somebody who knows electricity if you are going to use it in an unusual way such as putting weight on it, getting it wet, not having any, or much, air space between the pad and the cage, etc.

I have used them since the 1970s, and I think I still have a couple from that time period, lol! But back then, there was no such thing as heat tape or UTH. We had to come up with our own ways of making do.

I think the new human pads have a timer that shuts them off after a while. I am using a couple of really old ones right now for my baby Amazons set up in the bathroom and another one for my baby leopard rats that I am isolating in another room. So although I still use them now and then when I have to set up a snake or two in an odd place (quarantine or some other area I don't usually keep snakes in), I think you would be better off buying products made for your intended use. I think there could be a remote possibility of a fire hazard if they are used improperly, so check with somebody who knows electricity if you are going to use it in an unusual way such as putting weight on it, getting it wet, not having any, or much, air space between the pad and the cage, etc.

Ha! Reminds me of a funny story. When I was about 14 I had the flu and my back was achy, my mom gave me a heating pad to lay on for a little while. It was working great. Day 2 of being sick I was waiting for mom to finish cooking dinner. All of a sudden I got a sharp pain/burning sensation in my lower back right above my right cheek. ;o) Haha. Anyway, I quickly moved and reached back and pulled the heating pad out from under me. It caught fire and burned a slight hole in my jeans and melted part of the pad to my clothes/skin. Wasn't too fun at the time but it's funny to look back on. Probably a good thing the heating pads have timers now.

Back