• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anyone using a Visionarium?

Quixotic

Knowledge Crusader
My snake is coming in a little over 3 weeks and he'll be 5 months old at that time. I'm getting paranoid now about the cage I've set up for him because I've heard that snakes can and do wiggle out of the 1/4 inch gap between the two sliding doors. Looking into getting him a zilla critter cage (the most escape-proof cage?) until he reaches a year or whenever he'll be big enough to not fit through the gap anymore. Does anyone actually use this cage? I was excited because they're so nice-looking and I really wanted sliding doors, but not if it's an escape hazard. If my snake escapes, the door to the apartment hallway is right there and he'd be under it and gone. :(

I don't have experience with that type of enclosure but I've never read about an escape. Although looking at pictures, it seems possible. Not sure.

If I was paranoid and felt it wasn't safe, I'd find something else.
-Skully-

Edit: how strange..I just read about someone's baby getting out of sliding doors and someone else saying they always allow babies to escape.

That said, find something else :)

I myself prefer the sliding doors type, they're nice and easy. But indeed, for a baby there might be a risk. at five months he's probably big enough for it to be safe, but if it's a small five month old it may not.
One possible solution if you really want it now: I have one that has been used for a baby, and the previous owner had attached something to the glass where the sliding doors overlap. it was a sort of mousse (like the inside of a cushion) that had a sticky side to attach it to the glass. That way the gap was nicely closed. but I don't know where to get that and what it's normally for...
Kind of a hassle maybe... so maybe better something else for the time being...?

You could use something like this to block the gap, if you think rubber will be to grippy to slide the door, they make foam weather stripping too. Once your snake is big enough you can just use a razor blade and scrape it all off :)

exactly what I meant ! The rubber indeed might prevent the doors from sliding easily, foam would work.

Right now I have my guy (~18 inches, 22 grams) in a Zilla Critter Cage (30" x 12" x 12"). I plan on "upgrading" to a Visionarium (at least a 48"W x 24"L x 30"H) once my little guy gets around 2 1/2 to 3 feet in length. Mainly because I like the sliding doors and I can get a Viv that is deeper and taller. I want to have a "cool" home for my guy that I can decorate for show as well as provide a home that he will enjoy. I also am hoping that my "little" guy grows to at least 5' so obviously I want him to have plenty of room to move around.

I think that foam stuff might be a good option for me. I'm just so paranoid about the snake getting out, lol! Since it's an add-on item (won't ship unless you order $25 worth of stuff) I'll try to find some at my Home Depot.

I have a sliding door enclosure - I thought the gap was inescapable, but I was very wrong - my 4 month old hatchling escaped straight away. Don't take the risk, use the critter cage for a few months. Even for an older snake, I would still safeproof the gap with something (I used plastic tubes). Better safe than sorry!

I have an adult honduran milk in a Visionarium an really like it but never put a baby in it.

Well it'll be better to change his vivarium when he gets under 2 ft but if its really a problem I would get him one I've seen it's really secure with proper locks on the side it would be quite useful

Back