• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Appropriate for new snake? (pics included)

branxmuffin

(I'm new to the forum [and forums in general], so my apologies if I should've posted this in a diff category.)

Hello! This upcoming weekend my husband and I are getting our first corn snake. I've had rosy boas and a python as family pets when I was little, but wasn't involved too heavily in their care. So for the past month or so I've been researching and trying to learn everything I can. I purchased a vision cage (36"x28"x18") and a Herp Haven (17.1"x 12.1"x 6.8") for a carrier for vet trips/etc. Since I more than likely am getting a hatchling I set up the Herp Haven after reading here that putting them in a large viv at a young age is too stressful and not recommended. I just wanted opinions on the sizing, if it is appropriate for a young corn. Pictures below:

I set up the Herp Haven inside the vision cage, so my cat can't investigate it :)

Attachments

• 102_2250.JPG
    102_2250.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 171
  • 102_2253.JPG
    102_2253.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 102_2245.JPG
    102_2245.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 172
Also, I set up a chart to keep track of feedings, shedding and anything else I need for the snake...does anyone else keep one?

Attachments

• 102_2247.JPG
    102_2247.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 170
I think it looks good. I see wires coming out of the herp haven, so I assume these are connected to digital thermometers and a UTH? I can't really tell from your pics. I see you have the door slightly open to run the wires out from. I'd just recommend that you make sure there's no way the hatchling can get out of the herp haven because if it can, it will go through that opening in the bigger viv and escape! Also, I'd recommend 2 hides (one on each side) so it can feel safe in either the hot or cold side as it needs. Its great that you did your research first =] Also, I keep a chart too, but mine is in a word document x] I keep track of feedings, sheds, length, and anything else that comes to mind

I think it looks good. I see wires coming out of the herp haven, so I assume these are connected to digital thermometers and a UTH? I can't really tell from your pics. I see you have the door slightly open to run the wires out from. I'd just recommend that you make sure there's no way the hatchling can get out of the herp haven because if it can, it will go through that opening in the bigger viv and escape! Also, I'd recommend 2 hides (one on each side) so it can feel safe in either the hot or cold side as it needs. Its great that you did your research first =] Also, I keep a chart too, but mine is in a word document x] I keep track of feedings, sheds, length, and anything else that comes to mind

On the left there is a log hide (warm side) and on the right there is a fake bird skull hide (cool side), the skull one is a little more concealed by the vine. Going into the Herp Haven are three probes...one thermometer for each side, and the Hydrofarm one. We're using a UTH for it. I think before I get the snake this weekend I'll see about making a blockade so if it does escape the Herp Haven, it wont get out of the vision cage. :) Thanks for your reply!

Another thing with the vision cage, I use showcase cages which have similar design and the smaller corns slip right through the space between the two glass panes. My corns are going on a year now and they still do it, so I still have them in tubs.

Just curious if you've gotten your snake yet? :)

Yep! We got an adult female snow this morning, and named her Elvira. She is awesome. Since we didn't end up getting a hatchling like we thought we would, we had to get the Vision cage set up real quick which was no big deal. She drank quite a bit shortly after going inside, and then investigated everything. Seems to be settling in nicely. :)

102_2269.jpg

That setup looks awesome.What a lucky snake.I would love to get a nice stack of vision cages for the corns.But alas, I will have to build my own cages to save money.
And they never look as good.
May I ask what kind of lock is that? Ive been looking for a good lock for two of my big cages.I bought two but the keep sliding down the glass and wont stay in place.

May I ask what kind of lock is that? Ive been looking for a good lock for two of my big cages.I bought two but the keep sliding down the glass and wont stay in place.

I got it from LLLReptile, here's: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...sionariums/vision-cages-and-tubs/-/cage-lock/

I've only been using it for a day now, but I'd recommend it. It sticks onto one side of the glass, and the actual lock has tracks that slide onto it. When you unlock it, the lock part slides off and you open the doors. It's a LOT nicer than I expected it to be! It doesn't seem like it's exclusive for vision cages either :)

Back