• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

arachnids (w/ photos)

xgrafcorex

Corn Spider
these little guys rule! i have been keeping them a bit longer than my two corns, but without them, i don't think i'd have made my way into keeping snakes. if anyone else has any arachnids, feel free to post pictures of them here. so without further ado, here are some of my bugs.

psalmopoeus cambridgei unsexed
IMG_3943s.jpg

grammostola rosea female (less than a day after a molt)
IMG_0951s.jpg

aphonopelma seemani female
IMG_0459s.jpg

chromatopelma cyaneopubscens unsexed
IMG_0570s.jpg

avicularia avicularia male?
IMG_0328s.jpg

centruroides vittatus female
IMG_2246.jpg

psalmopoeus irminia female
IMG_2475s.jpg

poecilotheria ornata male
IMG_2311s.jpg

scolopendra subspinipes unsexed
IMG_2479s.jpg

3 centruroides exilicuada unsexed
IMG_2553s.jpg

wasn't sure how many i could put up with one post

centruroides vittatus mating
IMG_2610s.jpg

grammostola aureostriata unsexed, molting
IMG_2681s.jpg

brachypelma vagans female
IMG_2668s.jpg

pandinus imperator unsexed
IMG_3281s.jpg

avicularia versicolor unsexed
IMG_3316s.jpg

heteroscodra maculata unsexed
IMG_3765c.jpg

cyclosternum fasciatum unsexed
IMG_3949s.jpg

i guess thats enough for now heh...hope you enjoy :D

You have a beautiful and diverse collection. At the moment i am focusing on snakes, mainly boas, however i also have a few scorpions and plan on a few tarantulas, particuarly mexican reds.

Heres my 2 imperials, still young, only 8cm.

I have not been able to get a decent picture of them yet! Im too nervous to have them out, and be "busy" taking photos at the same time :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCI0012copy.jpg
    DSCI0012copy.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 06062006(002)copy.jpg
    06062006(002)copy.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 07062006(004)copy.jpg
    07062006(004)copy.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 07062006(005)copy.jpg
    07062006(005)copy.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 88
Wow...I hate bugs...but some of those are just breathtaking! I like the colorful ones most.

You have very nice scorpions too Elle! You hold them?

"You hold them?"

My thoughts exactly :eek1:
There was me thinking that scorpions were very poisonous thingies indeed.... :crazy02:

grafcore, what is molting? Looks a lot like shedding but looks like a duplicate of the spider.

Scrub said:
"You hold them?"

My thoughts exactly :eek1:
There was me thinking that scorpions were very poisonous thingies indeed.... :crazy02:

Its nothing worse than a wasp sting, but the claws do hurt. I only hold them when cleaning the tank or something of the sorts. Im not that stupid ;)

CMatt2157 said:
grafcore, what is molting? Looks a lot like shedding but looks like a duplicate of the spider.

Funny you say that, i have a habbit of playing with the scorpion food. last night what i thought was a dead locus, was actually moulting. He was barley moving, just wriggling when all of a sudden burst out his old skin in my hand. Shiney new bug underneath, and twice the size.

hmmm
those lil C. exilicauda look more like Centruroides hentzi to me...
those Gertshi morph C.exilicauda can be deceptive though, especially at such a small size...

The Nothing said:
hmmm
those lil C. exilicauda look more like Centruroides hentzi to me...
those Gertshi morph C.exilicauda can be deceptive though, especially at such a small size...

i'm only going by what i bought them as(c. e. gertshi(is that the right spelling?))...i am not as familiar with scorpions as tarantulas..

CMatt2157 said:

arachnids (and others) have a harder outerlayer called and exoskeleton or exuvium, and a new one begins forming underneath the current one, and after a period of time, the new one is pretty much fully developed and the spider flips over onto its back and pushes the old exoskelton off. then after a few days, the new one hardens up, and the spider is hungry and ready to eat. thats why the new one looks translucent in a way. once it hardens up, the outerlayer is much darker.

Scrub said:
"You hold them?"
for the most part, no. some species are generally more docile than others, but each has their own personality. i just leave them be, but if the occasion arises, as in i could just put my hand in front of it without freaking it out, it will climb onto my hand. just can't make real fast/jerky movements. its actually a little harder to get them back into the enclosure than out if its a smaller enclosure hah.

heres one i forgot to include, another female g rosea having some lunch.
IMG_0294s.jpg

CMatt2157 said:

hah i forgot to mention...it does look like a duplicate, and i have some from the larger spiders sitting on top of one of the tanks in my room...its freaked out a few people that don't realize it isn't alive :rofl:

yes, they are very beautiful! i can't wait till they start getting their adult coloration. they don't look like much of a tarantula yet because they are so young. only about .5" tops heh it has a ways to go..apparently they are slow growers though :( the largest one i have is only about 5" but the one i own that will get the largest will be about 8 or 9"

GAH!!! ok, I couldnt even go through this entire thread looking at those pictures.. damn me and my arachnaphobia. lol

Awesome Tarantulas, I drool over the Swift's Invertibrates website, but have a roomate afraid of spiders... My Favorites are the Mexican Fireleg (Brachypelma boehmei), Costa Rican Tiger Rump (Cyclosternum fasciatum), French Guyanan Bluefang (Ephebopus cyanognathus), and the one I really, really want, the Panama Blond (Psalmopoeus pulcher). The spiderlings are really affordable too...

Jynx said:
I don't feel up to reposting the pictures, so here's a link. :) Heh, I'm lazy... it's my day off.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26593

nice ts..i left a comment for you there. pretty a avicularia :D mine died somehow :( but i now have a versicolor

tricksterpup said:
GAH!!! ok, I couldnt even go through this entire thread looking at those pictures.. damn me and my arachnaphobia. lol

haha the funny thing is..there are a lot of people who are afraid of them, but after owning one of the more docile species, fear gives way to fascination. on the forums i post on about these 8 legged buggers, there are numerous stories of peoples spouse hating spiders, or parents etc. even i have become more calm around spiders and bugs in general.

CaptBogart said:
Awesome Tarantulas, I drool over the Swift's Invertibrates website, but have a roomate afraid of spiders... My Favorites are the Mexican Fireleg (Brachypelma boehmei), Costa Rican Tiger Rump (Cyclosternum fasciatum), French Guyanan Bluefang (Ephebopus cyanognathus), and the one I really, really want, the Panama Blond (Psalmopoeus pulcher). The spiderlings are really affordable too...

i am planning on getting a p pulcher this week at arachnocon in san antonio texas. psalmopoeus is my favorite genus...cambridgei is my fav species of the bunch. slings (spiderlings for short in arachnogeekspeak) are the way to go i think....lowest prices, get to see them transform into their adult colors and grow from .25" to ~5" on average. also you have a decent chance of getting a female and saving all the money you'd spend buying an adult female. when i get back sunday, i'll post some pics of the new additions and also probably a link to all the pics i take...will be there this thursday till sunday :D

Cool, can't wait. They had a Cobalt Blue at the expo I was just at, that was amazing, and he reared up at me right as I bent down to look :D

Back