• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

arboreal snakes

Arboreal snakes will also dwell in the bottom and find heat whereever it is when they need it...so UTH is fine for them as well.

Amazon tree boas do spend time down on the ground of their cage too...If someone wants to they can provide a basking light as well but the bellyheat is beneficial to their digestion.

well the thing is i live in CO and i put a thermometer near the top, 60F.

the ground read 85F

If your cage is larger and more airid so that your heat is escaping...then a heat lamp would be necessary. No part of the Amazon tree boas cage should be 60 degrees though! So if that is your cool temp then it is not right. They should not have temps inside their cage much lower than 78 or so. They need to be warm and keep a good relative humidity.

I've been doing a lot of research on Green Tree Pythons (GTP) the last few months and most breeders/websites recommend using a radiant heat panel that is attached to the inside, top of the cage. I don't believe a UTH is the way to go for Aboreals like GTB's and GTP's. They might work, but from my readings they are not the best choice. A heat source from above is the way I plan on going. A light/heat emitter dries out the air too much for snakes needing high humidity like the GTP's I've been researching.

I think you can make a light, emitter, UTH work, but the best way from what I've read is the heat panels....

http://www.pro-products.com/proheat.html

It really depends what arboreal you're keeping IMO. Some arboreals might come down for heat, but from what I understand snakes like the ETBs will more or less never come down unless something is wrong. They also tend to head for the highest perch or branch, so if the tank is a really tall one I wonder how much effect a UTH would even have.

I'm not saying they can't be used, I just think you want to be careful how you use them.

If you do use a heat lamp for something like a neotropical snake, remember that they tend not to like very bright lighting. :)

Btw, I know you mentioned ATB, but I don't know if that's what you're getting - I figured it was just an example :shrugs:

I prefer overhead heat as well. It's a different way to provide a temperature gradient. if they get too warm for their liking, they can move down to a cooler branch or the floor.

Overhead heat only for the chondros, UTH on the top, bottom and sides for the amazon. He tends to lay up in the ledge of the tub or down in the bottom in the corner...or....squeezed in the side between the branch and some plants...or...in the plant itself. They kind of go everywhere!

Back