• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Arboreal tank for a corn?

WolfKin

My yearling recently escaped twice, (found it and covered it up) and since then he spents alot of time climbing in the trees. His tank is about 4'x2'x2'. I was thinking about flipping it upright so he could climb higher, although it would cut his ground space in half. I can't see any harm in it, but I want to get some other opinions. Would it be beneficial or detramental?

The risk of it falling over is pretty high with that size of a tank. Also securing the lid will be more difficult and make escaping more easy for him. I personally would just incorporate more vines glued to the back wall and find a way to secure the lid more.

Thank you for your answer and concern, but I've got the tipping and lid security bases covered. Aside from those, would it harm him at all? Like making his warm and cold ends too small. Again, carnivorouszoo, thanks for your input.

Honestly I suppose it would depend on a few things. 1. Is he always up high instead of on the ground? Even after eating? If he is you will want to heat vertically along the back I think. If he stays on the ground when digesting then yes I would say his escape to cooler temps would be hindered. Especially the bigger he gets. Also consider he may not be spending much time on the ground because he feels hot so you might try turning down the heat a little and adding an extra water bowl he can soak in. What are your temps and how do you heat it?

Well, he splits up his time on the ground and in the air pretty evenly. After eating, he'll climb within 24 hours. The heater I use is a 50 watt flood light (60 in winter), and his temps range is 76-82F. Any higher and I pull the plug on the heat, and switch to flourescent light. Before he escaped, he spent all his time in one of his caves. Now if he's hiding, he'll come out when ever he sees me. It's like he has a new found confidance, and fears nothing is his tank. It's the cutest thing.

Hmm, honestly if it were me I would leave the tank as it was intended as there is the risk of the weight in the odd position causing problems with the glass, but if you are careful and watch it, everything might work out. I just worry that you say he has already been escaping, an odd position my cause issues with the lid and make it easier for him to get out again, unless I missed how you have stopped the escapes?

They seem to lose interest in clumbing when they are about a year old, unless they have a destination, like OUT. Babies like to climb in leaves and vines for hiding- maybe to escape predators on the ground?

Thanks for the responses guys. Carnivoruzoo, his tank is wood and plexiglass. It's an entertainment center with the shelves cut out of it. The hole he was escaping from has been covered with plywood. I think I'm gonna leave it the way it is. Again thanks for all your input guys. Have a good one.

My larger snakes like to climb on our macaws' manzanita play stands. These are tall (5' or so) and thick enough to easily hold their weight. Too big for a viv, of course! Our little guys will climb anything, twist their way through anything, and go walkabout at any chance they get.... Amazing little climbers!

Two of my three escapees were found FIVE feet off the floor on bookshelves far removed from their tubs. I think they like to climb IF things that are sturdy are available to them.

If I were independently wealthy, I'd love to build a HUGE environment, like those found in zoos, and include things like climbing structures big enough to support an adult cornsnake, and then see what a cornsnake did with all that space.

Truth be told, if I was going to go this route, I think I'd go REALLY HUGE and build an environment that would be potentially adequate for TWO cornsnakes and then monitor closely to see if they could safely cohab if they had several hundred square feet of floor, plus trees, plus several large water bowls for bathing, drinking & swimming, plus multiple warm spots, etc, etc. But this is just a fantasy, and unless I win the lottery, I am not going to cohab snakes. I just think it's a great fantasy, building fake rocks, maybe getting a live tree that could live in that environment with appropriate lighting, etc, like building a gargantuous terrarium.

Just adding my .02 to a bill that's already paid... We also raise Amazon Tree Boas and Green Tree Pythons, and it is general consensus that more horizontal space is preferred to vertical. And that's with true arboreal snakes!

I just recently made some new enclosures for my 09 girls and put a second "level" made out of green pvc fence wire/netting. I'm surprised at how much time they spend up there! :)

Well Yarmuck, I guess that seals the deal. I'm staying horizontal for sure now. Thanks alot guys. See ya round.

I use one, And I haven't found any problems.As long as you check it like the first few days it should be fine.

depending on were you live temp wise you might want to consider getting one of bigapplepet.com 's screen cages they are cheap n designed to be put down langth wise or stood up

Personally, I wouldn't use a screen cage for a Corn. They're not really robust enough to rely on keeing a strong adult in. Also a more enclosed tank or viv will help to keep humidity up. Even if you live in a Corn's natural range, homes are most likely to have aircon that dry the air.

Back