• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Are some corn snakes really low-key?

7legion77

My snake is still a juvenile but I never see him come out. I've had him for more than a year now. He spends literally all time his out of sight.

When handling, he seems strong & healthy. His reactions are sharp, alertness seems fine. He's usually content to just hang on my arm and doesn't move around much.

But he doesn't voluntarily explore his hide like most corn snakes. He is very quiet and still 100 percent of the time.

I have to dig him out when its feeding time, but his feeding response is very excitable and he's never turned down a meal, which is why I'm not overly alarmed.

But I wish I could see him more often! He never ever displays himself.
Is this just a type of "corn snake personality" or should I be worried by his constant lethargy.

YES.

Some corns never show themselves, some throw themselves at you when you walk in the room!

One thing that would make an otherwise excitable corn have a chilly demeanor is if the temps in the viv are off. What is your thermostat set at?

Thanks for the reply mate!

I have not used a thermostat with my UTH, but the vivarium is very large with a cold end. In fact, I frequently find him coiled under the water bowl.

Perhaps it has something to do with the brutal drought we're experiencing here in California. I'll try a thermostat and see if his behavior changes at all.

He used to explore when I first got him. I am very diligent in keeping him from getting overweight. As a small Blizzard he easily puts on flab (in fact I think Blizzards have a drastically slower growth rate than typical corns), and it seems that 1 fuzzy every 15 days is an appropriate schedule for this particular snake. You think I'm not feeding him enough?

Thanks for the reply mate!

I have not used a thermostat with my UTH, but the vivarium is very large with a cold end. In fact, I frequently find him coiled under the water bowl.

Perhaps it has something to do with the brutal drought we're experiencing here in California. I'll try a thermostat and see if his behavior changes at all.

He used to explore when I first got him. I am very diligent in keeping him from getting overweight. As a small Blizzard he easily puts on flab (in fact I think Blizzards have a drastically slower growth rate than typical corns), and it seems that 1 fuzzy every 15 days is an appropriate schedule for this particular snake. You think I'm not feeding him enough?

Do you have a digital kitchen scale that measures in grams? How much does he weigh? Here is a good link to know if you are feeding correctly. Munson Plan

My snake does exactly the same thing. Sleeps all day under his hide even when I turn all my lights off and draw the shades and leave the room. I come back and he's in the same place in the same position. I guess he's very relaxed for lack of a better term. Or lazy like me.

Out of my five, only two (My Blizzard and my female amel) seem to hang out outside their hides.

My granite did when he was put into a cooler room. He would explore day and night. But I was still worried, and brought him to a warmer room in which his temps were more along the guidelines.

So it could be the snake, could be the environment.

Well 3 nights ago... I was out late, and came home... my room was pitch black. I crept in, and saw my snake prowling his tank relentlessly, climbing up and down the branches and searching every square inch of the enclosure. Looks like he occasionally comes out at least. It shows he's in great health and it was nice to watch him slither around voluntarily again.

So I'm not worried about inactivity anymore.

I am sticking with a sparse feeding schedule to make sure he doesn't get fat. He's still growing just fine... weighing 50 grams now.

I don't know about that Munson plan! It seems like too much. When I used it for my previous snake he got really overweight. He was a slow-growing snow. The blizzard seems even slower-growing and he's still tiny when compared to other snakes.

Do you have different feeding schedules for your snakes based on growth rate?? It seems like the Munson plan shouldn't apply to every snake.

I don't know about that Munson plan! It seems like too much. When I used it for my previous snake he got really overweight. He was a slow-growing snow. The blizzard seems even slower-growing and he's still tiny when compared to other snakes.

Do you have different feeding schedules for your snakes based on growth rate?? It seems like the Munson plan shouldn't apply to every snake.

You are right about the Munson plan, for the younger corns it is fairly aggressive and possibly written to get the corns to grow on the fast track. It has been recommended here that waiting an extra 5g before bumping up to the next size is not a bad thing.

Only you know your snake well enough to determine when and what to feed, and they are fine with a missed meal or two like when they are in shed.

I have had corns from 3 months to 13 years old, the babies are fed every 5 days, the 2-3 year olds that are under 200g are fed once a week, and the biggest guys are fed every other week, depending on their weight.

Back