• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Are terrariums and supplies cheaper at reptile expos?

CornCob

I plan on getting another corn at an expo in November. But before I go i have to do some job my mom has given me so i can earn some money. I just want to know if things are cheaper at reptile expos or not. I know the snakes are, thats why I'm getting one, but what about all the other things. Like this is what I will need for my new corn...
- Tank
- heat mat
- aspen (might get. I'm using terrarium liner right now but I've been thinking of changing to aspen for a while)
- tank lid and clips
- light and day bulb
- thermostat/humidity gauge

I have lots of hides and water dishes. I also have some fake plants and I make my own climbing branches. So what do you think those things will cost at an expo?

You might find some used gear pretty cheap, but new stuff is usually close to retail prices.

You might find some used gear pretty cheap, but new stuff is usually close to retail prices.

This.

I've found good deals on things like supplements and husbandry tools like hooks and tweezers.

Also, depending on how many corns you have, a show can be a good place to stock up on frozen feeders. Especially if you don't have enough snakes to order in large bulk...

It really depends. Some expos you can find things reasonably priced, others it seems like they jack up the prices to near retail. Sometimes you can find good deals but its really hit or miss.

From my limited experience:

$3-20 - Tank (Depending on size and quality)
$10-40 - heat mat (Depending on new/used and size)
$4 - aspen (Buy this from the pet store. I got 1000sq inches for $4.)
$5-20 - tank lid and clips (Depends on new/used and size)
$7-15 - light and day bulb
$5-20 - thermostat/humidity gauge (The Zilla combo is crap. Get a thermostat with a probe and a separate hydrometer)

Ugh, I really need to contribute. I meant get a thermometer with a probe. A thermostat is going to run you a bit more. $20-50.

My experience with aspen is that its much cheaper at expos... but they come in the huge bales that will last you forever with a small collection. The last show I went to (last weekend), was selling the Harlan shredded aspen for $14. I bought one last winter and I still have it!

Thermostats tend to be the same price as retail at expos though. Unless you get a cheapo one.

I'm personally thinking about swapping to sani-chips instead of aspen... I hate the way shredded aspen looks.

Im not sure which I like more. What I dont like about sani chips is that they get everywhere! I have carpet and I just cant seem to get the stuff out of the carpet once its lodged in there. The shredded aspen I like because my hognose loves to make little tunnels in there and my young corns like to burrow under it. Which is harder for them to do in sani chips. But SC looks much nicer than the SA. The SA you get at the pet store is much different than the Harlan brand, which is what I use. Its much finer. The pet store stuff looks like chunks of aspen sometimes. At least the ones Ive seen.

I have both the "chunky" and the "fine" shredded aspen. From what I was reading, not from experience, SC is supposed to promoted burrowing. But will not hold tunnels like the SA will. I dunno... $20 for 20lbs, I can afford to find out which I prefer. :)

I plan on getting another corn at an expo in November. But before I go i have to do some job my mom has given me so i can earn some money. I just want to know if things are cheaper at reptile expos or not. I know the snakes are, thats why I'm getting one, but what about all the other things. Like this is what I will need for my new corn...
- Tank
- heat mat
- aspen (might get. I'm using terrarium liner right now but I've been thinking of changing to aspen for a while)
- tank lid and clips
- light and day bulb
- thermostat/humidity gauge

I have lots of hides and water dishes. I also have some fake plants and I make my own climbing branches. So what do you think those things will cost at an expo?

The tank and heat mat maybe cheaper at PetCo or PetSmart only because they order more from then any vendor at an expo can.

Aspen - Kind of depends on the amount you want to buy. If all you need is a small bag go to Wal-mart. If you want a big bag go to a feed store and order stable bedding.

Tank lid and clips - Should come with the Tank if you buy the right one.

T-stat and Humidity gauge - Cheaper to buy the T-stat on line. You can get one here. The humidity gauge I would pick that up at Wal-mart also.

I prefer shredded over sani chips,
as for show deals, Some vendors will sell entire set ups
tanks/heat/bedding/hide/water bowl/book all for a low price
as a package deal.
When I've sold at shows and new owners ask I refer them to
these vendors to get everything needed.

Thanks everyone! I think I will just earn some money and see what they have there. I live really close to a PetCo so If I don't get everything I can run up there the next day (I plan on getting a baby snow). Thanks to all who posted, it really helped. :) I am going to the one in SC, and it's my first expo so I hope it's awesome! :D

I guess it really depends on the Expo. At the closest one to me, the least expensive place had 20L Zilla tanks, the ones with the locking lids, for $39.99 and the local Petco sells those for $79.99, the local mom and pop pet store sells them for $69.99. The Expo is the place to get tanks, they are usually $15 to $40 less than the local shops, on any of the various tanks and cages. The heat mats were a few dollars less but the rest of the decor seemed to be pretty similar, maybe a buck or two less. Most just depend on your area.

From what I've seen (this is between the same expo Tavia talked about, and a few of the ones up in Washington/Oregon), expo prices tend to be much lower. Especially if you have a few good, competitive pet stores in the area--like here. The show Tavia talked about tends to have fantastic prices on supplies (i.e., one vendor had 3-packs of eco earth bricks, which retail at $10, for just over $4--more than 50% off retail pricing) in good part because there's some 3 local pet stores, plus LLLReptile, that vend at the show. 4 dry good vendors at one small show like the one here in Salt Lake is a lot, so you get a good amount of price dropping in order to match or beat competitor's prices. SC probably has much, much larger shows than this one, which may or may not be good news for what kind of pricing you can expect...

As a general rule, though, the expo is going to have better pricing than the average pet store. Good luck finding your new baby! :)

Back