• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Are there any other reptiles that can live together with a snake?

JjSnake

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I'm guessing the answer is "no", but I was very curious about it anyway.

Thanks for the replies! :)

In an enclosure you would keep in your house? I would say no.

In your back yard, enclosed in cinder block? Absolutely. Tortoises, Anoles (great food source), other snakes (but not too many).

The closest you would get would be keeping a few Garters together in a large enough tank.

Thanks for the answers. It looks like nothing else could live with a corn snake.

I was just thinking how cool that would be 2 different reptiles living together, like say a lizard and a snake. I guess that wouldn't work! :)

I'm just a newbie with reptiles, but I'm finding them very interesting. I should be getting my first corn in 2 days.

Welcome to the site. Asking questions is how you get answers (as long as they are asked in a genuine, non-troll way).

Congrats on your new Corn. They are fairly easy to keep. Check the care sheets, stay away from sand substrate, keep heaters on a thermostat, and you should be good to go.

Thanks knox.

Do you think the heater needs a thermostat if it's only 8 watts? The room stays around 72-74 degrees F.

All heaters be it UTH, heat mats or flex-watt should be regulated by a thermostat or rheostat to prevent the snake from getting burnt.

Ideal temp on the warm side should be in the mid 80's.

All heaters be it UTH, heat mats or flex-watt should be regulated by a thermostat or rheostat to prevent the snake from getting burnt.

Ideal temp on the warm side should be in the mid 80's.

I agree with Lenny, but there are other ways to regulate heat too. I use a lamp dimmer. After testing the heat of the tank and adjusting the dimmer to the correct heat(measured by a thermometer on the warm spot), mark and tape the knob on the dimmer: just add snake. :)

It works just like a thermostat and cost way less....but it takes just a little more time to set.

I agree with Lenny, but there are other ways to regulate heat too. I use a lamp dimmer. After testing the heat of the tank and adjusting the dimmer to the correct heat(measured by a thermometer on the warm spot), mark and tape the knob on the dimmer: just add snake. :)

It works just like a thermostat and cost way less....but it takes just a little more time to set.

Well said!

I always keep a dimmer on hand for those "just in case" scenarios. They are great, inexpensive tools for stable temps. I don't worry about fluctuations from 5 - 8 degrees in my house. Snakes encounter this and more every day in the wild.

There isn't much difference between 84 and 89 degrees in the hot spot as long as the ambient temperature doesn't go much above 92 during the hottest part of the day. Generally, though, if the heat mat is at 90, it doesn't do much to raise the air temp from under the substrate. As long as the snake can get to a spot around 78 degrees for thermoregulation, dimmers work just fine.

In an enclosure you would keep in your house? I would say no.

In your back yard, enclosed in cinder block? Absolutely. Tortoises, Anoles (great food source), other snakes (but not too many).

The closest you would get would be keeping a few Garters together in a large enough tank.

It would be awesome to have an enclosed yard with a lot of critters running around. But it would be hard to keep them in. I'm sure they would find ways to get out...

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I'm guessing the answer is "no", but I was very curious about it anyway.

Thanks for the replies! :)

Back in the day I had a large viv made out of a 55 gallon tank with anoles, a couple fence lizards, a large tree frog and a green snake. I know some will not like that but it worked for me then. The anoles did very well and reproduced. I had a large living vine in it that soon took over the climbing limbs and made lots of hide spots. But in all the answer is in what species of snake you are talking about. Ring necks, green snakes and the like are not too bad. Bigger hunters I would say a definite no.

Back