• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Are these pinks undersized for my snake?

Geminiluna

I realize feeding charts such as the Munson plan are guidelines and very much up to individual snake feeding needs, etc. But still, I would like opinions from the experienced folks to be sure I'm feeding appropriate size meal given I'm new to this.

Sixx weighs 8 grams. His first feeding with a f/t pinky was a success (ate so fast he was already cruising out of the tub before I could put the lid on). However, the pinky weighed 1.4 grams. Per the Munson chart, a snake of that weight should be getting a single pinky of 2-3 grams.

He's still getting used to his new home, so I did not handle him long enough to check the size of lump the meal made. I also will not be handling him for a couple days while he digests. But once I verify he doesn't regurgitate, should I move up to two of these pinkies to get to ~3 ounces at next feeding, or look for a larger weight single feeder?

Thanks!

Switching from one to two might be a bit too big of a change right at the same time as getting used to a new home. I'd personally use up the pinkies I had but look for bigger ones and maybe offer one of those every other meal or so.

Agreed. I find the Munson plan is not a fit for every snake. I've had many that couldn't keep up with it. By no means feel like an "every Sunday" schedule is underfeeding or starving your snake! Roy Munson's plan is for optimum growth and it's a valuable resource. I feel safer feeding on the smaller side, and also never go to two 3 gram pinks, myself. I dig and find slightly larger pinks, or the smallest of peach fuzzies, whatever the snake is ready for. There is usually plenty of variability in a bag. A slightly bigger pink seems so much easier than two! And once they can handle two, I feel like one bigger one has more bone, muscle, etc. Whatever works for you, but don't sweat keeping up with the Munson plan to the letter. It IS a great guideline and it's a good idea to weigh your snakes periodically and see where you are. Right now, you've got a tiny 8 gram baby, and a small pink every 5 days is going to put size on like crazy!

Back