• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Are they for real?

I wish they first few were real. Sadly Blue/Cyan pigment is an extremely rare color in nature. Most creatures that we see as blue get that way through Iridophores (reflecting and refracting light) not pigment. Bluebirds, Blue Morpho Butterflies and Blue and Black Poison Arrow Frogs are just a few that come to mind. Even our Lavender corns are not colored by a pigment so much as a scale layer iridophore interaction with underlying chromatophores.
I always tell folks that corn snakes come in every color but blue and green. Which is why I want a Blue one with Green saddles! LOL

Terri

I don't think green is too much of a pipe dream considering some of the coral/salmon snows I've seen with nice greens...they just need more of it!

Well, there is green and then there is GREEN. I have green snows and they are lovely but they are like calling Dilute "blue"(it's more like a nice gray) or Lavender "purple"(gray with salmon highlights). The Green Snows are more yellow with nice iridophores than GREEN. My idea of GREEN is more along the lines of a nice Rhyno Rat or a Tree Viper. Of course maybe I'm hoping for too much.

Terri

Yeah, guess it depends on your preference of green. Mine has "nuclear waste" green checkers and borders, but not a leafy green.

Here's my very rare blue corn snake ;)
bluesnow3_zpscd3d0b3e.jpg

bluesnow2_zpsc5e7ed19.jpg

bluesnow_zps6d477bf4.jpg

LOL, I've seen that color and others from the use of the colored Carefresh Bedding. Don S. tells a story about buying a very red snake that had been soaked in KoolAid by his deceptive owner. He was soooo disappointed when that animal shed. The closer to shed time the darker you can make the color due to the porosity of the shed layer.
Years ago I colored some animals for the Tinley show using an airbrush and temporary tattoo ink (doesn't hurt the animal at all, I checked with a vet before I did it). I thought it would be fun to have designs and words on the snakes as a display item. The designs would be gone with the next shed and the snakes were works of moving art. Most people thought they were cool but I had one woman go totally ballistic at my table. I decided I didn't need that kind of publicity, so I never did it again.
Beautiful Beast regardless of his color.

Terri

yeah the two first ones are phtoshopped!

Third one... maybe.. I think it's the lighting making him look bluer than he actually is...
motley blue one looks legit..

last two ones is def slightly altered as well... you can change the hues in photoshop and I suspect that is done to enhance them a little bit but they got the blue pigmentation in the bottom...

but like my red looks redder in my pics I try to get honest pictures of them but ti's hard..

Back