• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

ASF mouse question

sdmessmer

I have my first litter of African Soft Fur mice born yesterday. I have heard that they can be touchy about their babies when they are disturbed. Is it safe to clean their cage, or should I wait until the babies are a week or two old? Older than that? The cage does not smell, but I can see it is dirty, bad planning on my part but I had expected a few more days before the litter arrived since she did not look that big yet. I would hate to have them kill the babies because I cleaned their cage. :eek1: Note to self, these females don't get as big on their due date as rats and mice!

Well, I've never had any problems caused by cleaning when there were newborn litters. It never seems to bother them.

The one issue I did have with a litter getting killed, as described in the other thread, I think was caused by the new male. They were also fuzzies at that point.

Flagg said:
Well, I've never had any problems caused by cleaning when there were newborn litters. It never seems to bother them.

I agree, never had a problem bringing out the adults & nest of young, cleaning the cage & puting them back in......(just wear a pair of welding gloves...lol.) :)

Welding gloves?

So far I have not been bitten by them, but I have not handled them too much. I do pick them up by the tail, not the body, before I put them in my hand so no grabbing like I do with my rats. They guy I got them from said his first ASFs were biters, but he only bred the friendliest and least likely to bite each time. This was his 10th or so generation and he said he was much happier with their dispositions.

sdmessmer said:
So far I have not been bitten by them, but I have not handled them too much. I do pick them up by the tail, not the body, before I put them in my hand so no grabbing like I do with my rats. They guy I got them from said his first ASFs were biters, but he only bred the friendliest and least likely to bite each time. This was his 10th or so generation and he said he was much happier with their dispositions.

You're lucky. My original trio were nasty evil biters. Later generations aren't as bad, though sometimes they do try to nip if my hand gets close to their heads. I have to distract them with one hand while the other sneaks in and grabs the base of their tails.

Back