• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

assist feed fail.... wont swallow?

lacroixel

Hi all I have a young hatching who had not eaten in about a month. She was loosing body mass and was not as active. I asisst fed her last night. I noticed she was not pushing the food item down her body. I held her and massaged her and tried to help her. Eventually i put her back in her house for the night. This morning i came out and she had not pushed the prey item any further down. I palpated it and the pinkie still moves freely in her (slides up and down a little) Does anyone have any idea whats going on???

UPDATE!

I pulled the pinkie out of her throat. she is cold and lethargic..... wondering if she has rot or something else wrong with her.... ugh

It doesn't sound good. Was she able to eat before or is it a snake that has never eaten? I hatched a weird non eater a couple of years ago that seemingly couldn't swallow or get the mouse past a certain point. I don't forcefeed but this snake would take the pinkies willingly if teased and then sit there with the pinky in its throat like that for hours. I had to euthanize it,
If your snake has eaten before this then I would suspect some trauma or something has happened.

Aww...sounds like what happened to my little hatchling that wasn't eating. I force fed him couple times but the last time he ended up dying on me. :( Hope yours does better. I don't know what happened to mine either. The only thing I can think of is I fed him to big a meal. Sorry I'm not of more help.

I assist feed any non feeders I produce,what I have found to be the best method for A.F...is to not use whole pinkys!! I will use heads,limbs & or tails,also when they don't wanna swollow....try pushing ( very carefully) the head as far down to the stomach as possible. Hope the lil one makes it for you!!.

OK all sad to say, I isolated her from her sister. sanitized the tank put her sis back in and had my little lavender in her hospital tank.. I had it nice and warm and went to the store to buy some mouthwash to try (if it was mouth rot). Came home and checked on her and she had passed. I feel awful because she was my first snake that has ever gotten sick. I wish I had seen the signs earlier. .....

Well now I am down to two snakes, I hope and pray I killed whatever she had so my other one does not get it......

Any ideas as to what it could have been??? OH and she had bubbles coming out of her mouth this morning. thats why I was thinking RI or mouth rot.....

It doesn't sound good. Was she able to eat before or is it a snake that has never eaten? I hatched a weird non eater a couple of years ago that seemingly couldn't swallow or get the mouse past a certain point. I don't forcefeed but this snake would take the pinkies willingly if teased and then sit there with the pinky in its throat like that for hours. I had to euthanize it,
If your snake has eaten before this then I would suspect some trauma or something has happened.

Oh and yes she had eaten many times before...she was my best eater!

I'm sorry to hear that you lost her. :(
This is one of the reason why cohabbing snakes is not a good idea.
It can stress them out & they may stop eating, & if one gets sick, then the other one(s) can be exposed to becoming sick as well, & you're facing more vet bills & possibly losing more snakes.

What are the temps in the cage? Ambient temps? I'm wondering about her being cold. Maybe it wasn't warm enough for her to digest.

I hope that the rest of your snakes are ok.

I have the same concern as nwheather. Since you had them cohabbed, it's very possible that whatever this one had, the other one has. I'd get a necropsy done on the one that passed and get the other one checked out. I'm sorry for your loss.

Back