• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Astroturf

AztecPrince

I will finally be recieving my hatchling corn snake next tuesday I have everything set up including newspaper to cover the bottom. I have heard horror stories about all substracts but would like to know if there is any cons with astroturf excluding the fact that it must be kept clean and dry so 2 pieces are needed. Someone once told me that it was too abrasive for the underside of snakes.

You can get softer stuff but there are cons to astro IMHO.

For one it frays. This might not happen right away but trust me, it happens. It can be very dangerous.

For two I find its really a time waster. It would work out for just your one snake but cleaning astro is hard.

bmm

the "repticarpet" is 'do- able' in my opinion, i've tried it before-it doesn't fray as easily-(i didn't use it for long enough for it to fray at least)but i don't think it is the best by far- it IS hard to clean, and is a pain when everything must be taken out and then re-arranged. plus, who wants to wash a poopy snake carpet in the washing machine?? I would put it way at the bottom of my 'substrates to use' list!

I say use paper towels...while it may not look the most natural it certainly is easy to clean up and can hold humidity levels when you dampen it when the snake sheds.

I think im going to stick to newspaper for a while. I have laid a few sheets down and they fit perfectly in the 20 gal and on top of those i have some that i shredded so the snake can hide. I also have 2 hides and 1 climbing branch. It looks pretty good and I think (hope) the snake will feel comfortable.

I am using mulch substrate right now, but hearing so many horror stories makes me want to change to a safer but less attractive paper towel.:)

I pesonally didn't like paper towels

as a substrate. It's good for small corns, but otherwise it is a pain. I like shredded newspaper better. I like aspen best. I know aspen has its risks, but I still like it best. I like being able to spot clean my snake's cages. I have noticed that almost every time the cages are cleaned, the snakes poop in them again. With paper towels, I immediately have to clean the cage again. With aspen, I can just clean that area.

I don't know what people think about it, but i use Carefresh in some of my cages w/ adult snakes. I like being able to spot clean too, and it is great for them to tunnel in. From seeing how soft it gets in water, i tend to believe that it would have less risk of impaction, however i have no proof whether this is true or not. I have tried almost everything out there, and this, although not perfect, has been one of my preferred choices.

Back