• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ate while in shed?

jovamabob

I fed the 4-month olds today which went fabulously. They've only been here a week and 7 out of 8 have eaten! My problem is, i offered a mouse to a little guy and he snapped it right up - then he shed.
I would never feed a snake in shed, but i was told by my pet shop and a breeder to offer it, and that they wont eat when they're in shed anyway. This little guy had literally started to get milky-coloured that morning, although im not used to tiny snakes so i may not have noticed - that'll change! I figured if he did eat, he's only just started so probably wouldn't shed till he's digested it and he probably wouldn't eat it anyway. He snapped at it the moment it came near him and took it down like a boss! The problem is, i can't find the tail tip of the shed. The rest is whole and completely perfect so it may have just broken off when i picked it out and i just cant find it, but i really want to check. He fed this time yesterday and i found the shed this morning. He has a humid hide and a nice water bowl to soak in so should i handle him and check or will he be ok to leave till tomorrow to check when he's digested a little more? I'd hate to have them regurgitate their first feed with me!

This is the snake eating and you can see he's barely gotten milky at all,
306880_10151098013951470_1532807090_n.jpg

He'll probably be just fine. I very occasionally get a regurge on a snake who has just shed, but much more often it's the ones I can't tell are blue. Just give him a three day digestion period, to be safe. And if he regurges, don't panic, because there is an obvious cause, then, and it is easy to do the regurge protocol and get him back on track.

Agreed. All of mine will eat happily when blue and I've not had a regurge that I can attribute to it. We'd generally advise against when starting out, as some Corns can certainly have repeated regurge problems at this point. The absolute safest thing is to avoid it, but a regurge is by no means a done deal.

+1 for Nanci's Reply I have fed unknowingly to shed ready snakes had no problems with regurge just leave them alone to digest. when your sure he is done look him over for the tail tip. I never used to use shed products because a warm bath and and shed box usually does the job. I have a snake that has bad sheds and decided to try shed ease on his next shed. I put him water mixed with it as directed I do this every day out of the blue till he sheds and what do you know the stuff works. Had his first complete 1 piece shed. I have used it on a wash cloth to remove small bits on the tail tip of other snakes works very well. Its important to keep the skin moist to prevent it drying out shrinking and eventually docking the tail tip. The shed ease stuff has aloe vera in it to help keep the skin moist

cool, it scared me a little then! The little ghost just shed too and his was 100% complete, with getting the same treatment - dampish kitchen roll in his hot side hide and water bowl moved to just next to the heated bit. (though i ripped it when i took it out - oops!). One still hasn't eaten, but he seems to be fussy from the records and i didn't expect any of them to eat yet anyway :)

I panicked because the one time i fed my sub-adult when he was in shed he took the mouse, then regurged it and shed horribly in pieces. Normally he sheds fine but he had moved to a larger viv i had trouble getting the high enough humidity he likes during shedding so i think it may have been that but couldn't be sure till i checked!

Like Nanci said. I had one the ate and shed in the feeding tub. I thought the colors looked a bit dull, but no real sign of being in shed. Really suprised me.

If i know my snakes are in shed I won't feed them. It's hard to tell with some snakes had one that shed and never showed signs of being blue it happens.

As the others said Nanci is right on the money as always. I have always fed snakes in blue and haven't had an issue but I do have one that I can not feed in blue because he will regurge. I ironically enough it is one that I got from Nanci. lol

I never knew that you shouldn't feed them when they are in blue. 3 of my 4 corns eat when they are in blue, in fact i think it makes them shed faster.

As has been said, it isn't a set-in-stone "shouldn't", it's more a way of being absolutely sure that any risk is eliminated. When you're starting out we advise against, as any regurge can be nerve-wracking to deal wth as a beginner - not to mention bad for the snake. Plenty of people (myself included) feed whilst they're blue without problems.

Back