• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Attached Umbilical Cord

snakehobbyist

So I was out of town this weekend going to the NARBC reptile show. When I came home, the last of my "rescue eggs" had hatched and the baby had about an inch of umbilical cord left attached. I immediately put her in a deli cup with a wet paper towel. These are my first hatchlings and I'm not too sure what to do now. It was already dry when I got home but I'm trying to keep it as moist as I can.

I just went to the rack to check on her and it seems that a little moist paper towel was all that was needed. The little stump fell off and I looked at her belly. She looks good as new like all the other hatchlings. Now...to get them interested in eating.

The first couple years I fed them as they shed. The first year, my babies were angels. The second year, I had some non-feeders, and totally panicked and sent them off to an expert after a couple tries. I even lost one. The third year, I let them sit a week before attempting to feed, but still got a few non-feeders, but my expert seemed to have enough on his plate for me to bother him, so I learned how to deal with non-feeders. I learned some good tricks, and no longer fear them. This year, I'm feeding the day after the last baby sheds. I have five non-feeders out of 60ish hatchlings so far- too many for my taste, but so far they haven't had a second try, either, so hopefully they'll be hungrier next time!

I tried to feed three that have shed (one was kinked and I gave her to a friend who wanted to get her started - I didn't complain) but they won't take it. I'll probably just let them sit for awhile and see what happens.

Back