• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

aurora borealis corns?

sdmessmer

There is someone at our local herp club trying to sell something he calls aurora borealis corns. Has anyone heard of such a morph? I did a search and came up with nothing. I'm waiting to see pics of these snakes.

Silvia

Looks like someone trying to come up with a catchy trade name.

Aurora borealis is the formal/latin name for the Northern lights -caused by solar radiation hitting particles in the uper atmosphere and reflecting shimmering lights in the sky...or something along those lines.

....I think I might start up my own line called 'meteor shower corns' :rolleyes:

Yeah,

that's what I think too. Just thought maybe someone else had heard of a morph with this name. The name conjures up a snake with all kinds of colors, so I'm waiting to see some pics from him.

Silvia

Well I live in the north where in the winter we get really beautiful Aurora Borealis. Heck even the Japanese come to this place to take pics of them. our Borealis is all green though but it is possible to see the reds and purples with different lens, so unless they mean the southern lights. (Can't wexactly remember the name)

Reminds me of the 'cranberry corn' I saw last year (just a normal)
I think I'll call mine 'Asteroid corns' lol...
I wish people woudln't be so quick to come up with these names before their morphs get proved as something new through breeding trials.

sdmessmer said:
There is someone at our local herp club trying to sell something he calls aurora borealis corns. Has anyone heard of such a morph? I did a search and came up with nothing. I'm waiting to see pics of these snakes.

Silvia

Have you asked him what they are genetically? Ask what the parents are or the genetic lineage. If he can't tell you, then I'd personally be very skeptical of what he is selling . . .

D80

All that is really useful beyond the scientific name is the genetic information.

Common names are worth little to nothing. There are no governing bodies ruling over which name is legit. Technically, common names are just a name commonly used to refer to the snake (or animal) in question.

But.. that's the only system we have, so that's the system we use. Since none of us have heard of an aurora borealis cornsnake, it's not really a common name.

Basically I could breed a new morph of snake and call it an aurora borealis, but if everyone else called it a Lime Okeetee.. It would be a Lime Okeetee.

Let's see if that stimulates some thought. :crazy02:

Rick

The main issue I have with catchy names is that people who are new to the game could get taken advantage of and end up paying too much for something that is commoner than the name leads them to think it is.
On the flip side, I have a feeling when people really do come up with something new and try to market it with a new morph name it takes a lot of convincing before it gets accepted by the majority. In other words you'd have a lot of skepticism and opposition at first, especially if you aren't one of the better known names in the business.
I think a photo of the corn in question would be a good way to help determine if this is something different. Of course it would still require some kind of breeding trials to tell if it is a new gene. Then again there's names that describe a snake's genes and others that pertain more to its appearance as in ghost (anery/hypo) versus silver queen or candy cane which describe a certain look to ghosts and amels.
If everyone just came up with random names all the time it'd be chaos. I could sell stellar asteroid moonshine corns and the next breeder would have volcanic eruption magma corns, so IMO it's better that the morphs and types of corns be under some kind of guidelines. I think the corn community kind of polices itself in a way, but there's always going to be those who won't play by the rules. The bottom line, some people will do anything to make a buck, so caveat emptor I guess. (Buyer beware)

Back