• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Automatic Watering System Leaky Valve Fix

theneedmachine

If you have a watering system, at some point, you will experience a leaky water valve that can kill your rats or mice! I have had one leaky valve kill 36 rats in one night. They do sell replacement parts and buying a new valve is pretty cheap as well....But when you dont have one on hand, the time to wait, or have to many to replace them all, here is a simple way that I refurb my leaky valves.
This is nothing special and anyone can do it.

1.Pull valve from system

valve1.jpg

2. Unscrew Valve Cap from Valve seat, a set of plyers may be needed if it has been awhile since it has been adjusted.

* Once unscrewed you will see the black O ring around the valve seat, remove it.

* You will also be able to pull the valve stem from the valve seat. You can also use the valve stem to pry out the pink O ring that is in the top of the valve seat.

* Inside the Valve Cap there is a blue Diaphram, using the valve stem again, pry the Diaphram out.

valve2.jpg

valve6.jpg

3. Here are all the parts of the valve below.

valve3.jpg

4.After all parts have been removed:

* Clean everything in warm soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Make sure the three holes in the Diaphram are clear, as they like to hold sand and grit.
* I use an old tooth brush and clean the threads of the Valve seat and Valve Cap.

5. Using a waterproof Multi-purpose lubricant-sealant:

* cover both O rings, inside and out. The sealant that I use is called Lube Tube. It is Waterproof, Non-Toxic, Biodegradable,prevents rust and corrosion, compatible with plastic, metal, and rubber.

valve4.jpg

* Place Lubricant on threads of Valve Seat and inside top of the valve seat where the pink O ring sits.

valve5.jpg

6. Place everything back together in the reverse order. Run some water through the valve and adjust the water flow according to what animal will be using it. Test it, and if all looks well replace back in your pets cage.

Hope this helps...the Pink O ring is usually the root cause of valve failure. If lubing does not fix your problem replace it first.

Back