• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Awsome random patterned caramel corn

daddio207

THUG FROG !
The last thing I need is another caramel corn but the pattern on this guy was to cool to pass up ! Pics don't do it justice.

Attachments

• retic121813 003-R.jpg
    retic121813 003-R.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 203
  • retic121813 015-R.jpg
    retic121813 015-R.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 204
  • retic121813 017-R.jpg
    retic121813 017-R.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 204
I can definitely see why you say that. I took the pics with my iPhone and after I posted them I had the same thought " boy does he look like a variable king ". He is 100% corn and my iPhone gave him that rich red color. He is definitely a caramel corn. I was only posting to show his nice weird motley pattern not his colors. The pattern is even more impressive in person, especially the way it fades towards the belly scales. :)

He is lovely. How did you come across him?

From a local reptile shop. He has a trusted local corn breeder he has dealt with for years.
I really have enough caramel morphs for what I need for my future plans but this guy really stands out !

I really don't think he's all corn...
Did the breeder just get the female this year? Could be retained sperm?
It's an absolutely beautiful snake either way.

That's insane! The first thing I thought was hybrid as well, but I guess something crazy could just be going on with the pattern?

Is he a motley or suppose to have normal saddles? The first 10 or so spots remind me of a motley...

I love the fading on his sides too! Reminds me of a diffused snake, but the black borders on his saddles are so dark and pronounced....

Anyway, really cool snake. You should post some more photos! :)

Ha-ha well I guess this is my fault. I posted without giving its full genetics.
:eek:
I really just wanted to share his unusual pattern.
I wasn't thinking about any future breeding with him so his genetics other than being a corn wasn't on my mind when purchasing or posting his pics.
I'm pretty good at spotting a hybrid. This corn snake has no physical attributes of a hybrid. His head shape is 100% corn. I believe the pattern not to be genetic but just an odd motley pattern.
So here's his genetics.........
Caramel/Sunkissed (Honey) motley X Caramel motley producing him a Caramel Motley het sunkissed.

:dunce: I'll make sure to correctly label any future posts or pics

A thumbs up to Rich Z for producing the Caramel Corn morph :)

Looks like a Variable king X corn. It has red in the saddles so its not Caramel.

I think so too.

It have more colour than Blood ambers: http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/diffused_amber/

The clean colours of that are also very, very rare in pure cornsnakes but common in Variable king X corn hybrids.

It is also extremely few cornsnakes that phenotypically are combinations of motley+zigzag+banded.

The odds are against it being a pure corn.

I sold some Anery corns to a dealer here. Plain Anery, nothing else that I knew of. 3 days later they were up on their website with new pics (though I compared markings) and they were all listed as Charcoal het. Butter.

Just saying.

I can see how it's saddles look red, but I think that could always be an issue of monitor calibrations/viewing light, etc.

Take some photos in natural light, no flash. Minimize shadows on the snake and we'll get a better idea of what color it is.

Take some ventral (belly) shots if you do new photos.

Corns can have many things (incubation temp first and foremost) blow out their patterns, but something about that pattern looks waaaaaay off for a corn with no king influence.

Here is a head and a belly pic.
Clear belly due to the motley influence. The head looks 100% corn.

I would of never have posted him in this section if I thought he was a hybrid but then again I wasn't giving this guy a lot of thought due to other snakes I got in this week. :shrugs:
I had no plans to see what this guy would produce but now my curiosity is up so I might test breed him in 2015 :eek:

I appreciate all the input !

SquamishSerpents
"I sold some Anery corns to a dealer here. Plain Anery, nothing else that I knew of. 3 days later they were up on their website with new pics (though I compared markings) and they were all listed as Charcoal het. Butter. "
I hear yeah!! What I paid for this guy they definitely weren't calling this something more than it is to influence the price. I paid very little for him. I would of paid 2 or 3 times what I paid.
Pics all taken with an iPhone. Tried getting natural light pics but nothing good came out.

Attachments

• hoggy122013 009-R.jpg
    hoggy122013 009-R.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 57
  • zander122013 011-R.jpg
    zander122013 011-R.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 57
update

Thanks again everybody for your input. :)

I emailed Don (SMR) the pics of this guy and he sees no markers that would indicate a hybrid and believes it's a pure corn.
Don also gave me some insight on its genetics and I realized that this all came down to a comma LOL The tub read "het sunkissed caramel motley" I read it to mean "het sunkissed, caramel motley". I now realize what they meant was "het sunkissed caramel, motley" meaning a classic motley het for sunkissed and caramel. The yellow base color on this guy just led me to think "caramel" without giving the reddish saddles much thought.
I purchased some pretty exciting snakes last week and now this guy is raising to the top of the list!

Back