• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Aztec Is Our First Snake

Twoboyz

Aztec is our first snake and we love him. Does anyone know what he might be? I know the picture quality isn't that great. He seems to be doing great settling in.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 244
OK, well first, he is beautiful!

He is definitely an amelanistic snake, or "amel". He looks to be what people call a "reverse Okeetee", which is an amel snake bred to have extra thick white borders on their saddles. He also has an aberrant pattern on the neck, which is very pretty!

Very nice little RO! Congrats on the new family member and welcome to the addiction. He will color up quite a bit more as he gets older. My amel, Fred, was quite pale when I got him as a hatchling, almost looked like a colorful snow, but now he's just as colorful as a typical amel. Your little guy will have the nice thick white borders though!

Thanks for all your comments. I'm like a beaming proud mama, and only a week into this.
I love RO's. I was a little worried that his colors might fade as he grew so I'm excited that they'll probably get deeper. I already want another one, but I'm letting common sense take over and starting slow.

Here is my Fred to show you the color difference from hatchling to yearling:

Camera1102.jpg

(Sorry about the feeding picture, I really don't like posting them, but it is all I have from him as a baby.)

Fredling.jpg

(He's blue here, but you can still see the difference in color 'saturation'...it has gotten even better now, but I don't have any recent pictures of him.)

The best place you can see it (on your snake) is around the head marking...see where there is color in front of the mark on his head that appears to be spreading back toward his neck? He should get nice and bright like that and his yellow will also brighten up. :)

A jungle corn is a corn x California king hybrid.

Thanks for showing us Fred. He's beautiful. My son loves him too. No worries about the feeding picture. I'll be seeing it live later because it's feeding day for us.
Take care

The pattern is different from a cornsnake!

I see a snake with normal appearing saddles with a few aberrant spots up toward the head (normal pattern variation), very wide borders (typical of a quality RO), and a normal facial structure (which you wouldn't see in a jungle corn, as they nearly always have a shortened nose due to the king influence).

Thanks for showing us Fred. He's beautiful. My son loves him too. No worries about the feeding picture. I'll be seeing it live later because it's feeding day for us.
Take care

You're welcome. And thank you. :) I can't wait to watch your little one grow up, keep us updated with lots of pictures, maybe even start him his own progression thread so we can watch him grow!

I'll do that Hallie. Thanks for your interest. I think this is my favorite board. I love looking at everyone's pictures.

Your little RO is pretty now, and is going to grow into a stunningly beautiful adult. Keep us posted, and we can all have fun watching his colors come in.

The pattern is different from a cornsnake!

It's simply an aberrant pattern along the neck, like Hallie. Do a search for "Nautley" if you want to see the same kind of pattern taken to an extreme.

This is from Kathy Love's website:

ALB.%20OKEETEE%20-%20CAPTION.jpg

I think your little guy is going to have STUNNINGLY thick white borders as an adult!

Very nice snake...May I ask why you called him/her Aztec? I have a Aztec as well....But i named her for her Aztec pattern...or if you prefer the Zig Zag pattern

Back